looking to set up a new tank..........lighting help/filteration help

MPevine11

my own mini ocean
ok not really looking to set up a new tank just want to convert my 10 gallon tank to something else (rimless/bigger)

looking for a tank with cool dimensions......
maybe a 20 long?
amy other suggestions??

but can a 20 long be drilled (to add a sump/refugium)?
what would be a good light for the tank (looking for a mixed coral tank)

any help/suggestions/advice would be great!!

I think the best small tank out there as far as dimensions is a 40B. They are not tempered so can be drilled anywhere as well.

my tv stand (where id like the tank to be)
47 inches long
16 inches wide
height 19 inches (my TV is 19 inches above the stand mounted on the wall)

i was just looking at MR.Aqua tanks in my marine depot product catalog, the stands are expansive!!

also i'd like to do LEDS as my biocube 29 has an HQI light and that heats up my small room quite a bit......2 would be alot of heat in here

woah like perfect fit in the empty spor in my room

do you have any pics of your setup so i could get an idea??

BTW, my 34gal Solana is also very close in dimensions to that 27gal cube. The Solana is 24.5" from the wall to the front edge of the stand and 22" wide from side to side. I will take some pics and post them.

awesome looking forward to some pics :)

solana's are really nice just alittle more then i plan on spending on this project :/

5777583867_b5b13a61fe.jpg

Marineland 27 gal cube

5777583867_b5b13a61fe.jpg

Marineland 27 gal cube

5777583701_116f8f1212.jpg

Marineland 27 gal cube

5777583591_da2b9095d2.jpg

Solana 34 gal

5778125198_fa1a7f6985.jpg

Solana 34 gal

Larger images here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/59721222@N05/sets/72157626844490440/with/5778125198/

wow that Marineland 27 gal cube is beautiful!!!

i think thats what im going to do for a tank i like that alot!!

Thanks!

I've been enjoying the 27 gal. I kind of wish that I had created a back chamber (AIO style) like I had originally planned on doing. With a sump, this won't matter to you. I don't have an overflow or sump with this tank. BTW, the bottom of the tank is tempered glass, but according to Marineland, the sides are not.

There is also a Marineland 25 gal with a pre-drilled (back wall) overflow that should be similar to the 27gal, but perhaps slightly more expensive.

I just found a thread about someone's 25 gal that was both interesting and ironic. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1810498. The interesting part was that the owner of the 25 gal had the same Tunze Reefpack that I have in my 27 gal. The ironic part is that I will probably replace the Tunze 9002 skimmer with something else just as he did. My Tunze pretty much gets out the same "green tea" skimmate that his was getting out. My 34 gal Solana's Nano Reef System skimmer is much better than the Tunze 9002 and unfortunately much, much louder (The Tunze 9002 is completely silent).

Last edited:
i may look into that pre drilled tank, tho i may try and drill the 27 cube my self......not sure yet.

but i defiantly love how they look an the size/shape works great for me for where i want to place it

still not sure on the lighting yet tho, i don't want MH i know that ((well maybe a 70W))?? i dono......

70 watt may be a little small IMO 150 watt would do the trick or some sweet LEDs. And if you don't want to drill it maybe make back chambers like an aio with room enough for a tunze a small fuge and a return pump with black acrylic, some silicone and make a few chambers back there. Thats what I would do if it was me. Keeps everything nice and neat. It's just like our biocubes but you can do it how you want it to be.

Back