Help choosing powerheads and heaters.

AnthonyF

Non-member
Hey all, so with my setup I am going to have maybe 65-75 gallons of water in the entire system. The DT is a 40 Breeder so I am wondering what would be good power heads? I am thinking of going with the Hydor Koralias. I want to put them on a controller having one on each side of the tank that will alternate. I need some help knowing how powerful they should be? I also want to run a third at all times and the other two switching. Would a 550/600 running all the time and two 750/850s alternating be enough or do I need to go with something more powerful? Then for a heater, I was thinking of running two 100 watt titanium heaters. Is there any one that is recommended. and is that enough? I dont know if I should run them both in the sump or maybe one in the sump an one directly in the fuge? Not really sure on this so any help would be great.

In regards to heaters if I recall it's usually 3W per gallon, so with 75G you'd want about 225 watts total. You'll probably be fine with 2x 100W heaters. I'd just put both in the sump. If you're hooking them to your controller I'd suggest getting a Y-splitter and connecting both heaters to one outlet on your controller. In my setup I had them on separate outlets and it seemed to make the temp fluctuate... once I put them on the same outlet the problem went away.

For my 40B (frag tank) I had a Sicce Voyager 4 Power Stream Pump, 1600gph and a Hydor Koralia 1500 which I thought was barely enough flow. I had one on each end of the 40B on opposite corners. If I were to do it again I'd probably go with two Sicce Voyager HP2800 Power Stream Pumps; or at least one of those with the Voyager 4.

Make sure whatever powerheads you get are rated for use with a controller, otherwise you might have issues or shorten their lifespan.

Thanks. I was thinking of going with the ViaAqua titanium heaters. Any idea if they are any good? And wow, I didn't think I was going to need that much flow for the tank. Glad I asked!

Flow really depends on what you plan to have for corals.SPS corals need a lot of flow.But softies and also anemones don't need all that much.

Thanks. I was thinking of going with the ViaAqua titanium heaters. Any idea if they are any good? And wow, I didn't think I was going to need that much flow for the tank. Glad I asked!

Never used those. I ran Jager and Aqueon Pro heaters. Never had a problem with them.

Flow really depends on what you plan to have for corals.SPS corals need a lot of flow.But softies and also anemones don't need all that much.

I think I want to keep Lps and softies, a nem and a brain etc but eventually would like to keep a little bit of everything

2 100W heaters is good but they're not necessary. And if you don't have an aquarium controller to control them, the 2 heaters will have a higher chance of malfunctioning and cook your tank. The little built-in temp controller on the heater is not known for their reliability and accuracy.
In reef tank, it's very unlikely that you will need a lot of heater(unless your sump is in the unheated basement). I run a single 50W Ehein Jager and the thing almost never kicks on. The return pump and the reactor pump and the circulations in the tank are enough to keep the temps at 78 degree.
What ever you do, don't get the marineland heater. Many many horror stories on it exploding causing a disaster. Again, best to have your controller to control the heater and not rely on the built-in heater controller.

Last edited:
Back