HELP!!! I've got a PROBLEM!

TBoisvert

Non-member
Okay, here are some pics... it isn't pretty.

Parameters:
Calcium: 400 dKH
Alkalinity: 11.8
ph: 8.2
Phosphates: .5
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5
Ammonia: 0

Now, I have raised my alkalinity, because I have read lately that it should be up between 10 and 12 (for algae issues)...

Is the phosphate level high enough to warrant a phosphate sponge? I have one, but it just doesn't seem high enough to use.

My clean up crew is relatively small... I have 6 mexican turbos, 20 astreas and 4 peppermint shrimp... and a sailfin tang (she eats alot of algae!) I started with a small clean up crew due to nothing at all being in the tank and did not want to starve the buggers. Should I add another 10 or 20 turbos??? What exactly do I need for a clean up crew? I have a 125 gallon tank? Do you think this is my only problem? Seems that the parameters are decent. Oh, and I used ro/di water.

Thanks for any input...

Tammie

Picture6232.jpg
Picture6234.jpg

Have you done any waterchanges since you started your tank?It's pretty normal to get algae blooms in a new tank.It's probably stuff that's still rotting away off your rocks.Give it some time and do a water change.

Any phosphate reading is undesireable, so I'd probably look into an Iron-based phosphate absorbing media like Rowaphos or Phosban. You may also want to increase flow in that area, and cut your feeding in half. Are you growing macroalgae in a fuge? If yes, does it have enough light? If no, you could consider putting some chaeto in a corner of your display tank or adding a refugium.

I'd add an army of scarlet hermit crabs and emerald crabs too. Your clean up crew sounds pretty slim for a tank that size. You could probably use 50 scarlets and handful of emeralds.

Aside from those things, you may just have to wait it out too. Every new tank goes through some "akward" phases, and sometimes they aren't pretty. :)

Nate

Yes, I have done a water change on my tank. I did a 15 gallon change last weekend.

Nate, I do have macroalgae in the fuge. I am also running a flourescent light above it. I will add another 10 turbos, the scarlets and emeralds. I will also put the phosphate sponge in.

Thank you for your help!

Tammie

How long has the tank been running. As Nate said your tank will go through more then just the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite cycle, as it ages it iwll go through a few different algea cycles also, but those tend to come a little later then the other.

heavydc2 said:
How long has the tank been running. As Nate said your tank will go through more then just the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite cycle, as it ages it iwll go through a few different algea cycles also, but those tend to come a little later then the other.

It has been running about 2 months now. Sorry, I am repeating myself. Dale, I am running them at 40% - didn't really think about it, so I will up the speed. I do not think I can run them at 100% though... 6100 gallons an hour is an awful lot of circulation in the 125 gallon tank.

No, I have 2 Seio 1500 opened all the way for 3,000 and my return pump pushes close to 2,000

My return pump is rated 1506 gph for return - the tunze's push 3,170 each, so that is a total of 6,340/pr. I tried pushing them to the limit. It is way too much flow. I do not have enough in the tank for resistance yet. I will, however, push flow up higher than it is.

Phosphate params are a little off. But for 2mos old looks like the green portion of a
cycle. Pretty tough to avoid these....I thought. Try some rowa for a while to help with
the phosphates. Be patient (like you haven't heard that before).
-Eric

Tammie, FWIW I think it is normal process and you are just in new tank syndrome. Throw in a bunch of clean up crew mix(100 turbos, cerith, nassarius snails and red legs, blue leg crabs). As already said above: use carbon and phosphate sponge, feed less (try once every other day), check skimmer, lighting cycle to 8hrs), 10% weekly water change......and be patient!! Stop buying anything new for a couple/few months and just wait and see....did I say BE PATIENT?? :D

Well, I think I was thrown off by it because I had a major green hair algae break out at the end of the cycle and it was taken care of by the clean-up crew. It looked great, then in the last week I got this and I didn't know if it was normal or what... thanks!

last week is that when you added the stuff for the refuge from that store in marlboro I have seen that alge in there tanks along with bubble.andy is right add more clean up crew

I would say dont panic, its just another cycle. You will have a few more that will come and go, just be patient, the tank needs to go through these to get it perfect. You will see algea come and go for a while. Its not your fault, its natural (as it can be in a fish tank). You can buy everything under the sun to make it go away, but you really don't need to. Save your money for more coral and fish and stuff.

wrassefan said:
Tammie, FWIW I think it is normal process and you are just in new tank syndrome. Throw in a bunch of clean up crew mix(100 turbos, cerith, nassarius snails and red legs, blue leg crabs). As already said above: use carbon and phosphate sponge, feed less (try once every other day), check skimmer, lighting cycle to 8hrs), 10% weekly water change......and be patient!! Stop buying anything new for a couple/few months and just wait and see....did I say BE PATIENT?? :D

Thanks Andy, I did just pick up some nassarius snails, red and blue leg crabs, some emeralds and a yellow tang.... hope that helps.

Tammie

Back