Help on picking a skimmer

underh2o2long

Non-member
Hi, After leaving the hobby for 5 years, I am finally setting up a 75gal RR in my office.

I have been online for the last two days reading about skimmers and to tell you the truth, my head is spinning, so, I figured I would ask members here who actually have skimmer and get there input.

Here is the critera:

Under $400
Will go in a sump
Tank will be reef with few fish (low to med load)
Must be quite (In my office)
Fairly easy to run and maintain

Thanks to all who reply.

David

I run a XP1000-SSS on my 60 cube mixed reef. It works great. This skimmer has a good amount of size, 6" diameter, compared to a NW-150 with only a 4" diameter and that crappy Ocean Runner pump. The Bubble Blaster pump pulls a ton of air. I would say you could definately do a 75 SPS tank with it. The crap it pulls out of my mixed reef is intense. I have 9 small fish which I feed daily and about a dozen LPS, SPS corals. If you went up to a 90 gallon or more I'd definately go up to the XP2000-SSS.

i am on my third SRO skimmer, i have a xp2000 and it works great! i have had the 5000int on a larger system and again, great skimmer. make sure you get the right size for your needs, bigger will not be better! i would get a xp1000 for your setup.
fall2011131.jpg

here is a pic of the 5000 from my old setup, beast of a skimmer:
skimmer004.jpg

when seting up my current system i picked up another 5000int , after doing more research i realized it was going to be too big of skimmer for my 125!after many emails to coralvue i sold the 5000 and bought the xp2000, glad i did too
lego-fishstuff023.jpg

Last edited:
I bet your head is spinning again. I ran one of the least expensive skimmers on the market (Seaclone) on a 75 for 2 years with no problems.
I don't believe for one minute it is a great skimmer but it worked with no problems. Any of the above suggestions will work well.

My vote goes for the BMK 150 or the Xp 1000 SS . The 150 will totally break down for cleaning . I am unsure of the Octo . Maybe bobofin can provide that info since he has one .

My vote goes for the BMK 150 or the Xp 1000 SS . The 150 will totally break down for cleaning . I am unsure of the Octo . Maybe bobofin can provide that info since he has one .

The pump comes out of the bottom quite easily and the opening at the flange for the cup is quite large so getting inside to clean is no problem. I can almost fit my hand in there. I rag around a kitchen spoon works rather nicely.

I have also been out of the hobby for a few years as well. When I found out Euroreef had gone out of bussines I had a tough time deciding with all of the choices available now. I ended up going with a Reef Octopus Extreme and so for Im impressed with what its pulling out.

The pump comes out of the bottom quite easily and the opening at the flange for the cup is quite large so getting inside to clean is no problem. I can almost fit my hand in there. I rag around a kitchen spoon works rather nicely.

Nothing like first hand info..

I have also been out of the hobby for a few years as well. When I found out Euroreef had gone out of bussines I had a tough time deciding with all of the choices available now. I ended up going with a Reef Octopus Extreme and so for Im impressed with what its pulling out.

Not True . The name changed ...Reef Dynamics...Still making skimmers...

Back