How big a heater for a big tank?

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
I have a 125 with another 75 gallons in the sump in the basement.
What wattage heater should I purchase?
I'll get two, one for backup.
But how many watts?

I like to keep the house cool. The thermostat is set for 65 when we're here, dropping to 50 at night. Yes, 50.

When we're at work, I let the heat drop to 55.

The basement stays a bit warmer in the winter. Probably 60.

I'll have 3 lamps (single end) at 250 watts each over the top.

Moe:

Just be careful not to go too high in wattage in case one of them sticks in the on position -- don't want to fry the tank. For my 90 with sump I run 2 x 300w titanium w/controller -- one in the sump and one in the tank. For my set up I have found this wattage combination to work perfectly.

I thought I read you should have at least 2 each running at 50% - 60% of what you need just in case one totally dies or the other gets stuck on, it's not as extreme of a swing either way? For mine I actually have 3 as I upgraded over time, all 3 are 175w or 200w I believe.

-Mike

I'd suggest getting 3 or 4 200 or 250 watt heaters so that if one goes ballistic, it doesnt have enough power to take out the tank. Also you can get visitherm stealths or hydor theos from petsmart for cheap if you bring in the online pricing from their website.

3watts per gal would work...or close to it...in my old 90 with 20gal sump, I ran 2 300w heaters...incase one died

I'd suggest getting 3 or 4 200 or 250 watt heaters so that if one goes ballistic, it doesnt have enough power to take out the tank. Also you can get visitherm stealths or hydor theos from petsmart for cheap if you bring in the online pricing from their website.

Great advise until the cheap heaters, I can't imagine how anyone could spend thousands of dollars and years (in Moes case:) ) on setting up a tank then heat it with the cheapest heater they can find.
I'd say buy a Ranco controller two stage (even if you don't wire the cooling leg right away) and 3 Titanium tubes, like Mauro says 200-250w each. This would be a sweet set up and it will cost ~$200 and not $70 but it will be permanent and reliable.
Marc

I'd say buy a Ranco controller two stage (even if you don't wire the cooling leg right away) and 3 Titanium tubes, like Mauro says 200-250w each. This would be a sweet set up and it will cost ~$200 and not $70 but it will be permanent and reliable.
Marc

my exact set up. wouldnt trust those dial jobs for an instant and would use just one. one as a backup doesnt do you much good when your at work all day and theres not heat in a 55 degree house.

Great advise until the cheap heaters, I can't imagine how anyone could spend thousands of dollars and years (in Moes case:) ) on setting up a tank then heat it with the cheapest heater they can find.
Marc
Marc,
When I go to spend the $$$ on my next set of heaters, what is a good brand to get?

I bought these Visitherm Stealths because I've yet to have the one I had for two years fail. Compare that to the 4 titanium Via Aquas I bought that are all useless now because they are either corroded or their temp controller failed.

M

We've got 75g upstairs and ~90g in the sump in the basement. One 200w upstairs, and two 200w downstairs (600w total). Basement gets into the 50s and upstairs in the low 60's during the winter. The setup seems to work well, and any one stuck on or off shouldn't nuke the tank.

I like to keep our place at 68 year round, the temp seems to stay pretty stable with little input from the heaters. I guess I just got kind of lucky when I set her up, naturally balances herself at ~79. Better to have the juice when you need it though, if the room temp were to drop for unforseen reasons you obviously would want to have the insurance.

-Dave

Marc
Allright, I think I have to finally break down and do this.
I'll buy the Ranco controller.
I'm thinking I can use the single stage Ranco.
I have two 300 watt heaters I want to control with the Ranco:
a) Won brothers digital titanium heater
b) Finnex dial-type (cheaper) titanium

Both the Won and the Finnex have their own controller.
How do I bypass the manufacturer's controlling elements and use the Ranco?

Would I be better off just getting two new titanium tubes without controllers?

I have one of the same Won brothers. I just opened up the thermastat and took the wires out. Then just connected the wires to a plug that I bought at HD. Works great.

I have one of the same Won brothers. I just opened up the thermastat and took the wires out. Then just connected the wires to a plug that I bought at HD. Works great.

Ahhh. You then plugged into a new controller, right?
'Scuse me for being a bit daft. Most of you know DIY ain't my game. :eek:

I'm going to question the watts question, because my 92 lives in a 68 degree room in the winter. Downstairs I have ~125 gallons in a rubbermade 150, plus a 40g breeder fuge/dsb and a 20L for chaeto, and with my basement at 58, I am running about 1500W of heat, and I still drop down to 76 at night. Insulating the sump is coming, but has not been done yet, and all tops are also open, so YMMV if you're insulated. Come February, I will add another 300W for when the basement gets it's coldest

I like to keep the house cool. The thermostat is set for 65 when we're here, dropping to 50 at night. Yes, 50.

Sounds comfy to me. :D I didn't know you had a tank going? I remember reading that you were tankless. :confused:

A couple members suggested I go with the titanium heating tubes on a controller. But I like what Liam said about the Visi-Therm Stealth heaters and it seems no one has complained about them failing either. I've heard mixed reviews on the Ti heating tubes. I figure with three 250W Stealth heaters, I should be pretty safe. And in the event one fails, I should be covered for a short time. Drsfostersmith is having a little sale on them too.

Multiple lower wattage (200-300 W) heaters works well for us, Moe. We keep the house at 60 at night and during the day, 65 when we are home. Sump in the basement, 2- 400W MH running 9 hrs./day. Approx. 350 total volume. We run 3 - 250W in the sump, temp. about 78F. We keep the sump & fuge covered. Good luck, hope all is well!

Back