How does it go this bad, this fast?

Well, I'm stumped. Any unusual critters that you had in this tank? Sea Apples, unusual fish? Any chance an anemone got shreded by something and then started to melt down? This is really unlikely, but could the flame angel have gone to town on one or all of the bubble tip anemones and then their bacterial degradation consumed all the oxygen in the tank?

The only thing I was able to piece together on this is that alk was a little high after I was able to actually test for it again.. (15dKh) No sea apples, but there was a sea cucumber.......which I haven't seen.....

Come to think of it, it was a crushed sea cucumber that dinged my tank last time.

I just did another 40G water change, and changed out my carbon again. Things actually look a tiny bit better....a few zoos have peaked open. The only other coral which has opened is my sun polyp, which is feeding close to normally.....

BTW, thanks for scratching your head on this. I'm stumped too. :eek:

Here is a before and after shot of the leather.

The first pic is right when I set up the tank, the second as it has been since last friday. Keep in mind it that it probably had grown 20% larger in size before this crash. To give you some scale, even fully retracted, the head would no longer fit in a 5 gallon bucket.

It has also been shedding what looks like polyps, and the skim has got yellow patches on it, which the flash is bleaching out

Anyone think there is hope for this? It has never been closed for more than a day since I got it.....until now.

Attachments

• LeatherPC7.jpg
    LeatherPC7.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 197
  • Sickleather3.jpg
    Sickleather3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 192
I would not rule out temp spike. I had my ACs running and my tank still managed to hit 93 one afternoon. I am still recoving 1.5 months later

Here are my before and after pics

Attachments

• beforeafter.JPG
    beforeafter.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 189
Sorry to hear about the crash. I too had a partial crash earlier this month, lost virtually all of my LPS, after 4 years of stability, and it was never explained. My theory is still that some temperature spike caused bleaching & killed zooxantellae, perhaps followed by some chain reactions.

Regarding your yellow leather, I once had one that would close like that every few weeks, remain closed for a few days, and then open up, better than before. Hopefully that may be the case with yours.

One thing I take home from this, it that this can happen to a large complete system such as yours, as well as to my small, sump-less 29 gal.

Good luck with the re-build.

Pete

Does anyone have an opinion about a chemiclean dose to kill the red slime? I'm trying to decide between the cyano outbreak and chemiclean as the greater stressor right now.

Plenty have used the Chemi-clean, myself included, but it is a short term fix, not a long term solution to anything. If you don't get the nutrients out, but only kill the cyano, in the short term hair algae or Bryopsis, or some other problem will take over...or the cyano will come back. I think you are best off with a very large water change, then lots of carbon, but that could be After a treatment with Chemiclean.

i as well am thinking temp. possibly power loss caused and caused a quick flux. very sorry for your loss:(

Back