It's time for a change, I think? Hopefully this change will bring better results

daves-reef

Non-member
Dave AKA The Serial Coral Killer.
Is making another change to his reef system. New Lighting.

After 6 + years with same Current Dual 250W MH T5 light fixture. Having thought about it for a long long time.
I am finally going to try LEDs or should I say LED T5 retrofit Hybrid.

I wanted a new fixture and after looking at MH options. Giesemann being the only available MH fixture I liked.
Semi DIY of my own LED T5 hybrid would be significantly cheaper than both a new MH fixture or the available hybrid fixtures.
And since I have had such spotty success with SPS and LPS with my existing MH fixture.
Why invest in more Power and Heat. It has always been a question that I had too much light with the Current USA fixture sitting on top of tank anyway.

Been building this LED T5 Hybrid fixture / floating canopy over the last month.
It has 2 LET T5 retrofit fixtures for total of 4 bulbs.

Its painted with Rust-Oleum Hammered Black paint.
Its slightly grayer than satin black and it gives it the look, a little like plastic.
http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/universal/universal-hammered-spray-paint/

I hung the fixture above the tank with just the t5 bulbs Wednesday.
The retrofit reflectors appear brighter than my original fixtures T5s. I am using the same bulbs.
The tank might have enough light as is with just the T5 and they are hung higher than before too.
Took a couple of pictures while building the case. The tank shot is yesterday with just the T5s installed.

The LED are expected to be delivered today. Hopefully they will fit were I planned.
Don’t plan on using them at full power for a very long time if at all maybe 30% to start.
If it all works out I will post a picture with LEDs added.

IMG_0654_zps2gn80z3m.jpg

IMG_0655_zpsvphwkg8x.jpg

IMG_0683_zpsnuqi0ipm.jpg

IMG_0502_zpsfqn64rqs.jpg

Last edited:
You defector! :D

If I had an ELOS planet , or maybe even could still find one for sale. I had been looking to see if one came up for sale for a year. That or a used guessman spectra. I might not have defected. Just got the LEDs mounted and did a quick test. It was tight but they fit. My measurements were a little off. It's going to take some time to get everything all finalized and set just right.

Stock up on those Pheonix bulbs. I did not like the XM I tried.

I'm on my last Phoenix set. But I heard a rumor that it will come back in June. Will wait it out. Otherwise, I don't know what to do. Trying to find anything metal halide(that' is actuallly good) now is a hoop jumping exercise.
If I can't find any Phoenix bulb, I will take out my geismann spectra with SE bulbs and run radium bulbs. The only thing is, the spectra is a 72" fixture and this tank is 63". Another excuse for the larger tank.
You can still get a Spectra and run Radiums and T5 actinics if you really want to. But led has come some way and its here to stay.

The LEDs are installed and the first program is set up. The look is very close to what the 250W Pheonix MH T5 I replaced.
Of course its same combination of T5 with the LED set at what should be close to 14 or 15K.

Picture does not show the color well or the shimmer. Video color balance is still off but gives a better idea of the look.

B55585E9-DD45-4099-BF8D-7B9BA888137E_zpsul6wqtus.jpg

Video with LED and T5 running.
http://youtu.be/jNV9j0DOhW0

[video=youtube_share;jNV9j0DOhW0]http://youtu.be/jNV9j0DOhW0[/video]

**** Happy Fish ... Sad Corals... ****
Fish are healthy. The clowns are laying eggs at regularly intervals and and the pair of Bengali cardinal are breeding too. Male is holding eggs again right now.
I have to see if I can pick up a long spine urchin just to see if the babies host in it.

Besides the putting in and pulling out of GFO. Starting to think I may have gotten a bad / contaminated batch also.
Realized this was a new batch of GFO I opened for first time when the LPS issues started. SPS well thats another issue. Probably ALK.

Right now not running any GFO. been doing weekly water changes and changing out carbon just to clean up any contaminants that might have gotten introduced by GFO. Going to monitor PO-4 with my HANNA checker for a while and see were it settles in. If anything thinking about dosing vinegar. Might help me drive down PH a little too. With no GFO, fresh air, fresh carbon and new lights. Even after calibrating the probe my PH swing peaks a little higher than it ever did. The swing is about the same it just peaks out higher than ever at 8.48 and hit 8.5 once which sets off an alarm.

One month update under the new Kessil LED T5 Combo lighting.

Things are going great so far "Knock on Wood". Lighting may not be the only reason for the dramatic improvement. I have stopped using GFO at all. Changed out carbon and did some extra water changes. Everything that survived the last wipe out is doing so much better. The few new frags I have added are looking good too. The green slimmer that was brown has turned nice and green again. The LPS that took a big hit like hammer is looking good and even the Purple Garf Bonzi has come back and re-encrusted over what was dying off. Other SPS has colored back up also.

I think I may have always just had too much light with the other fixture. The new one is hung higher and I am only running the LED at 56% peak intensity. Been slowly ramping up to 60%.
Don't think I need much more than that.

A1AB076C-DDBC-4475-9F6C-26E0A49E3E83_zpshnsbapzf.jpg

5BED88E9-AAD6-48EA-AE1E-F6886A5D6555_zpsiizbr9tu.jpg

51F16627-4942-4B04-8DE1-E1EECEFF8B37_zpspswedixh.jpg

1 year update on my switch from MH/T5 to Kessil LED/T5. Been very happy with results so far. Only changed T5 bulbs this year no MH to worry about. Electric costs and heat are all down. I had my other issues with adding CA reactor to zoo eating Hippo. Acros are still a challenge for me. But Montis, LPS and rest of my overall mixed reef have done very well. Especially since I got CA stable.

Updated video.

[video=youtube;xT51SNY_F0w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT51SNY_F0w[/video]

Back