March 9th Sunday 2014 VFW Taunton - Christine Williams

Flame Angel

Past BRS Pres/2016MOD
Staff member
:)Boston Reefers Meetings are open to all Paid, non-paid and prospective members(family friendly environment):)

The next meeting of the Boston Reefers' Society will be: on Sunday, March 9th, 2014 noon to 4:00pm

The location is: VFW Taunton, 82 Ingell Street in Taunton, MA

Christine Williams - "Recognize and treating fish illnesses"

Meeting schedule:

**All topics and times subject to change at any time**

12:00-Socializing/Membership Registration/Greeting
12:15-Members presentations
1:15-Break for lunch
1:40-Christine Williams
2:40-Fish Goo 3:10-Raffle
3:30-Frag Trading/Socializing

Water Testing-see details below- (Link for Water Testing)
Fish Goo Sign Up- (Link to sign up for fish goo)
Meeting Sponsor- Underwater World
Frag Grow Out Competition-Official BRS SPS Grow out Comp- (Link to sign up for 2014 Frag Grow Out Competition)

There will be the usual frag swap at the end of the meeting. A frag swap thread will be posted separate in "Reef Talk" for those members wishing to trade frags.

There will be many great raffle prizes offered up to support the club by our sponsors and members. Items will be posted as we get closer to the meeting date.

**NEW ADDITION TO THE MEETINGS IS A KIDS ACTIVITY TABLE**

Bio:

Christine Williams started keeping fish while she was still a fetus. While the aqueous environment did lend itself to the hobby, it limited her to freshwater species, and so she decided to be born several weeks early. Through sign language, she demanded that her parents convert her crib into a reef aquarium and thus started her illustrious career in marine ornamentals. After completing her studies in biochemistry and molecular microbiology she went to work at “Animal ER” where unfortunately she was not filmed for the Animal Planet channel (though her feet did make a cameo during a rescue segment). Currently she works as the product development manager for a naturally-derived products company, where she is very happy to spend time in her lab making things that smell good and don't explode often. She frequently lectures on reef topics including marine animal disease, fish husbandry, human-tank zoonosis, and fish cognition. Contact Christine at christine@reefthreads.com.
Christine Williams.jpg

Last edited:
Greg from Underwater World will be sponsoring the meeting :applouse:

Pictures to follow of some corals he'll be bringing along and please keep your eyes open for another Growout contest.

You heard right, we're having another Growout Contest :cool: we'll most likely be doing SPS, probably an acro of some kind. I will post a thread in reef talk within the week and put a link in this thread as well.

This is turning out to be one heck of a meeting, can't wait to see everyone there :cheerful:

Hoping to make this one! I listen to Christine and Gary's Reef Threads podcast every Monday morning on my way to work!

Hoping to make this one! I listen to Christine and Gary's Reef Threads podcast every Monday morning on my way to work!
Gary will be coming in November. I had ask the board if they could make that happen and they did! Thanks everyone
I heard Christine speak a while back and it was interesting. I will be there

I am interested in asking a bit about HLLE and possible links to running carbon. I read this somewhere but have been unsure if there was truth to it.

Christine Williams scared me last time we had her up... I went and bought full arm gloves so I wouldn't get any infections after her visit... She is an awesome speaker hopefully I can make it...

Time once again for FISH GOO
Here is the list of fish goo ingredients please step up and donate an item from the list below and get your bag of Fish Goo
**Members that donate items that have leftovers (like liquid and dry items) get on the list for the next Fish Goo for a free bag.

We need to have 6+ members to donate items to make this happen…

Clams (Canned w/juice) or minced:
Shrimp:
Fish (Fresh but Frozen for mixing):
Scallops:
Mussels:
Color Enhancing Flake Food: ----------------------------------Still have plenty
Granulated Fish Food: ----------------------------------------Still have plenty
Selcon Vitamin supplement: -------(Marshall O)
Vitamin C:
Castor Oil:
Reef Vitamin and Mineral Supplement:
Garlic: -------------------------------------------------------Still have plenty
Basic Liquid Filter Feeder Food: -----------(jdmitch)
Dried Plankton supplement:
De-capsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs: ---------------------Still have plenty
Nori: -------(Nicole79/Shawnburg)
Mysis Shrimp Rotifer Pearls:
Frozen Brine Shrimp:
Cyclopeeze:
Cod liver oil:
Tobiko:
Squid:
Kent marine zoa:
Dry phytoplankton: -------------------------------------------Still have plenty
Nutramar Ova:
Rotifers:

For those that don't know, we take all the ingredients and blend them all up in a food processor. Those that contributed get to take home a bag of goodness for their fish. Come watch Anthony (Jamesdong009) do a quality control test by tasting each batch to insure that this food is good tasting and healthy for all your marine life.
Members are welcomed to join in the tasting.

I'm not sure i'll make it but if I do I'm in.
I can also bring vitamin C, seeing that it is in such a shortage due to the season :)

I'm not sure i'll make it but if I do I'm in.
I can also bring vitamin C, seeing that it is in such a shortage due to the season :)

What are you looking for for the shrimp? Maybe I could grab some and bring it up... I usually buy frozen uncooked shrimps in a bag, is that what we are looking for here?

Back