Muriatic Acid for Dry Rock

i just got my mr so, tap +bleach for what a week and a half then add some prime. then put it in the sun? i have some prime that im not using once im done i could pass it on if you dont have any. well that is if prime will work

i just got my mr so, tap +bleach for what a week and a half then add some prime. then put it in the sun? i have some prime that im not using once im done i could pass it on if you dont have any. well that is if prime will work

How does the rock smell now?

I appreciate the offer, but I should be all set. Thanks Jason. :)

its shipping i havnt tried it yet but once i get it i will. i think i will be adding 2 steps to this. a 3 day rinse after bleaching it with the pure, then after it drys put it into some salt water with a power head, heater and a skimmer. what do you think about this? would the 3 day rinse mess it up? and will the pure be good enough?

Sorry Jason. I honestly couldn't tell you what the best method is since this is my first time.

I soaked the Marco rock for ~ two weeks, which loosened most of the big stuff pretty well. Next I'm going to soak it in a 10% bleach solution with a couple Koralia 3s for two more weeks and then remove the chlorine with a dechlorinator. I'll probably leave it in the sun to dry for a couple days for good measure. Finally, I'll put it in saltwater with a skimmer.

Just a bit of input here?
Fist ...thanks for your business!

Then second ...don't confuse the old "signature Fiji" which was loaded! with dried organics and takes a long cycle time (Pauls rock) with the new Pre cycled Key largo rock which is not and does not. IMO using dips chemicals or anything other than straight, sound biological techniques is a waste of time on this rock.

Just a bit of input here?
Fist ...thanks for your business!

Then second ...don't confuse the old "signature Fiji" which was loaded! with dried organics and takes a long cycle time (Pauls rock) with the new Pre cycled Key largo rock which is not and does not. IMO using dips chemicals or anything other than straight, sound biological techniques is a waste of time on this rock.

Huh? What did you say? :p

JasonandRay said:
i have some pure on had that will do the same thing right? what kind of rock did you get?

Pure?

Yeah... I have the older, outdated model of Marco Premium Fiji Rock. ;) Like Marc-O said, its loaded with dried organic matter (algae, sponges, crustaceans, etc.). It takes quite a bit of cleaning to get it as clean as his New and Improved!, Premium Key Largo Rock. :D

The Fiji is great because it's got a raw look to it. But the Key Largo stuff is great because it comes pre-cycled (clean) and is honeycomb in appearance. I still need to make my way down to get me some.

Huh?

Yeah... I have the older, outdated model of Marco Premium Fiji Rock. Like Marc-O said, its loaded with dried organic matter (algae, sponges, crustaceans, etc.). It takes quite a bit of cleaning to get it as clean as his New and Improved!, Premium Key Largo Rock.

The Fiji is great because it's got a raw look to it. But the Key Largo stuff is great because it comes pre-cycled (clean) and is honeycomb in appearance. I still need to make my way down to get me some.

Actually no Paul you have the original Model "Signature Fiji". The "Premium Fiji" or (fiji premium) is nice alos but a bit different too.

:confused: This is getting a little foobabulated so let me try it this way:

The "Signature Fiji"
(still around in limited quantities but now banned from import)
Thumb_cherry%20F.JPG

Fiji Premium
(still around in limited quantities but now banned from import)
Thumb_Fiji%20premium%203-08arch.JPG

Key Largo
(here to stay "A product of the USA")
keys12in%20500x375.jpg

OMG! Thank you Marco for posting this, I have finally been able to identify my unknown rocks! I have a good sized chunk of the "signature Fiji"... it's awesome looking, easy to affix frags to, but a PITA to clean garbage off of....

Glad it helped....
but don't worry,
I have some new products coming soon to keep you on your toes :)

The new stuff will come with new website(s) to try to keep that "Too Fly" Dude from twisting it all up:D

Last edited:
>Key Largo
(here to stay "A product of the USA")<

This looks like the stuff that TBS used to be get (probably from a quarry in FL?). Nice and open, but probably pretty heavy compared to the super porous Fiji (non-fossilized) stuff.

Yea everything is heavy compared to that ultra light Fiji ::
Man if that could have ever been dependable and not so destructive to the reefs ........ Oh well everything changes.

This is about the same density as Fiji Premium
quite well received too we've shipped man ....who knows? well over 100# already :)

Last edited:
The best (dead) rock I ever came across was the stuff I picked up on the beach in Fiji. It was sun bleached, and rain washed, just a few feet up on the beach. Perfectly clean and dry and super light. I brought a duffle bag of the stuff home that I hand picked piece by piece. No pieces larger than a basketball, but really nice stuff. I figured I was cleaning up the beach for them!

Glad it helped....
but don't worry,
I have some new products coming soon to keep you on your toes

The new stuff will come with new website(s) to try to keep that "Too Fly" Dude from twisting it all up:D

Dude, I'm only trying to help. :D

But you're right, I've got the Signature Fiji. WooHoo! :p

I wonder what the street value of this "rock" is? ;)

The best (dead) rock I ever came across was the stuff I picked up on the beach in Fiji. It was sun bleached, and rain washed, just a few feet up on the beach. Perfectly clean and dry and super light. I brought a duffle bag of the stuff home that I hand picked piece by piece. No pieces larger than a basketball, but really nice stuff. I figured I was cleaning up the beach for them!

Flying with rock is so much fun too :confused:
In in Feb when I came home with samples of this Keys rock. I had about 20-25# in a carry on, of course i was pulled out of line for the extra special search, then they decided to take me off to an office because "it's illegal to take coral" 20 minutes of teaching them the difference between rock and coral, then a new supervisor comes in "ok so it's not coral but it's live rock and collecting that is illegal" .....10 more minutes of class.
"Ok fine you can take it ... but you have to go wait in line and check it because it could be used as a weapon"
So now I always check my rocks when flying :D

Marc- is there a ban on Tonga rock now as well?

I got some of the Tonga Shelf rock from you and although it's ultra porous and light like the figi stuff... the shapes of it are absolutely insane for aquascaping with.

Marc- is there a ban on Tonga rock now as well?

I got some of the Tonga Shelf rock from you and although it's ultra porous and light like the figi stuff... the shapes of it are absolutely insane for aquascaping with.

since late June early July 08 for Tonga.
Since ~early March 09 for dry Fiji (and I'll bet that's only the start, I've heard some stories that would make you want to spit on the big Fiji collectors)

Back