My tank hit 94 degrees yesterday

JayG

Non-member
At some point yesterday my temperature sensor for my Ranco fell out of the tank so it was registering the room temperature and not the tank temperature resulting in 800 watts of heaters heating the tank to 94 degrees.

My three fish were all still alive last night when I went to bed and I saw one of them still swimming this morning so it appears that the fish are going to make it.

The corals on the other hand don't look very promising and I'm not expecting any survivors. This may be a good time to take down the metal halides, switch to VHO and stick with a FOWLR tank.

If you have something controlling your heaters.....make sure the probe is secured!

Oh man, that's Horrible! I'm really sorry to hear that. What a downer.
Give a few days to see if stuff can recover, and if it goes really badly and the corals don't survive, give yourself a week before making any big decisions. After I lost all my corals to a sudden hypo problem, I was sure I'd ditch the whole tank, but my wife and others here convinced me to chill for a bit. And indeed after a week or two I was happy to be thinking about restocking. I wish I had some frags to help you out with, because people were so helpful to me. (I've since broken down my tank in pre-preparation for a big move).

Nate

I hear a lot of guys talking about getting temp controllers because they dont trust the thermostats in their heaters, and then they set the controller to a certain temp, and turn the heater up real high so the controller controls everything.

In my mind, this is exactly the same as just running a heater. Thermostat failure kills your tank.

Turn the heater to what you want your tank at, turn the controller to the same temp. Thats built in redundancy. Theres no reason to put ALL of the control to the controller. Its just safer this way.

Sorry to hear about all this. I've killed my tank with heaters on the other extreme before. It stinks.

but if you run heaters like Finnex that don't have built in controllers and designed to run off an external controller your plan doesn't work.

Last edited:
JayG said:
but if you run heaters like Finnex that don't have built in controllers and designed to run off an external controller you plan doesn't work.

Thats why I don't run finnex. I run Ebos. I just forget to plug them back in.

How much stuff you lose?

The Goldflake was out swimming around this morning like nothing happened. I hope to find him the same way when I get home!

Makes me glad for once that I live on the third floor and don't need to use a heater....water stays at 80-82 yr round....tho in the summer I ac the room...

Back