PETCO Ocean Water......Do you use it for reef tank ? What do you think about it ?

Ahhhh, 2005, the good old days when we bragged about GSP and toadstools, and PC light was all the rage as well as DE halides

nemodan , any updatgs on mag

I forgot. Used all 5G for a water change after I glued some frags I got from Dz6t. One hour later all frags have their polyps out and with their colors recovered after the Bayer dipping.

Also your frags are doing very well too.

Daniel

Last edited:
Dz6t. He my corals came from him everything growing like weed last week I'd curt a lot because they over grow thanks dz6t for the great and Heath coral u have

L ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378740338.648400.jpgook that color nobody have color like that

Ledreef, you were able to get your hippo tang to spawn and that was a great achievement. Do you think natural seawater played an important role in that?

Well pre- mix water is similar not the real one only fish and coral know that. And the ocean water is the real one they really think they are in the ocean just why if use ocean water the fish not going feel they are in the fish tank. And everything going be easy coral grow crazy. Crazy coloration every single pair shrimp or fish going breed in the tank . Because they really think they living in the ocean. And very import not put the hand to much in the tank ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378744988.362341.jpg

Not putting hands in the tank is very hard to do

Ships for free 4.99 from Petco if under about 25-30 gallons. If order more then huge shipping. Shelf life is over a year on box.

Still way more expensive than making it. Good to have as back up for quick water change though.

Still way more expensive than making it. Good to have as back up for quick water change though.

It is for big tanks. Its all relative. If you have a 10g tank, you could make a 10% water change every week day (M-F) for around $40/month. Not a bad deal, and it would take less than 5 minutes every night.

From the start of this thread I wanted to keep aside the $$$ equation. I do understand that for people with big tanks the cost will increase significantly.

These are MY numbers and this is why it will work for me.

I only need 4G a week for my 2 nano tanks (14G + 12G). Let say I use the standard of 5G that PECTO sells.

In PETCO the bag for 50G of Instant Ocean reef Crystal.....$19 (I am using this one)
In the supermarket Distilled Water........ 1G = $0.88 to $1.82....In average I pay $1.25 the Gallon.

To do 5G of Artificial water will cost me......$19/50G= $0.38/G + $1.25/G distilled water = TOTAL of $1.63 per Gallon.

Bottom line, 5G of artificial water will cost me : $1.63 x 5 = $8.15

My Artificial water = $8.15/5G
PETCO Ocean Water= $12.5/5G (if I buy 10G)

I will pay an extra $4.25/week

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
There is a lot of attention lately with this so I am getting enough to last me 2 months of water changes and I am going to start a thread and document the growth and such. Should have the water this week.

Back