Petco Ocean water!

I think the petco water and the nutri seawater are both overrated and expensive. I have seen incredible reef tanks that have been using salt mix not ocean water. Like B said, if you have a nano tank it's worth it because it's not expensive. However the majority of us have larger than 20 gallon tanks, it would cost an arm and a leg to constantly be using that. I have just seen way way to many successful thriving reef tanks with mixing salt to say this "ocean water" is the key to having a nice tank.

I agree they are expensive and I am staying with my Red Sea Coral Pro, but the reason I started this thread is to hear if anyone had a similar experience with Petco Ocean Water.

I love Red Sea Coral Pro! My levels stay great and my coral growth is very good! Weekly 5 gal water changes keep my Cal, Alk and Mag good without dosing.

+1

Growth and cost is what I strive for. This might be fine for a nano, but not for larger tanks.
Besides Petco used to have it's own salt brand. And when I got into the hobby I started using that salt.
I had nothing but issues with it and nearly quit the hobby. Thank goodness I switched over to just plain old supplemented I.O.

Petco Ocean Water is real ocean water in a box. The Petco salt is a synthetic salt mix. I tried the Petco Ocean water (because members were talking about it) and was surprised at the polyp extension after the water change. Anyway, I am staying with the salt I have trusted for years unless someone had an idea why the polyp extension was so different. The theories and answers are very interesting. Thank you everyone! This has got me so interested in what the difference between synthetic and real ocean water!

Tank had cycled, but it is not yet "mature". All corals you see have between 1 week (some frags) and 2-3 months (at least 3/4 of them). All of them growing during the last 2 months under PETCO Ocean Water. Polyps well extended. I have not added any supplement during these 2 months, neither I have done any measurement. I keep changing 3-4 G of PECTO ocean water per week. Now, that the tank has an important bio-load will star measuring once a week Ca and Alk to know what is going on and if there is any need to start again to supplement or not.

When I was using Reef Crystals for the first months of the tank I was supplementing for Ca and Alk to keep it at 410-420 and 7-8 dkh. When I started to add PETCO ocean water I stopped supplementing the tank. All has been going great, at least for the last 2 months.

Tank is a Mr. Aqua rimless book shelf style 36x9x8"

Beautiful tank by the way!!!

.....But personally, I don't think I would trust it long term on an SPS reef...just me though?

This is valid too for Mix Salt. If you do not apply the basic rules of reef keeping care, doesn't matter of it is Ocean or Artificial water, the system will crash.

+1

Growth and cost is what I strive for. This might be fine for a nano, but not for larger tanks.
Besides Petco used to have it's own salt brand. And when I got into the hobby I started using that salt.
I had nothing but issues with it and nearly quit the hobby. Thank goodness I switched over to just plain old supplemented I.O.

I agree this is not for large tank ($ issue), that is why I can not afford to use natural sea water in a box for myself. But one of my friend (not on BRS) can afford it in his 75 gallon mix reef and the growth and color is incredible.
Also he has very little fish lost.

By the way, Petco seawater is rebadge Catalina sea water which is pretty good and used even by public aquarium.

I think the petco water and the nutri seawater are both overrated and expensive. I have seen incredible reef tanks that have been using salt mix not ocean water. Like B said, if you have a nano tank it's worth it because it's not expensive. However the majority of us have larger than 20 gallon tanks, it would cost an arm and a leg to constantly be using that. I have just seen way way to many successful thriving reef tanks with mixing salt to say this "ocean water" is the key to having a nice tank.

- It was said 100 of times that is expensive compared with the home made water ......we all agree that !!!

- It was said that Ocean water is not magic. You can use it but if you overfeed or overload the tank or etc, it will fail as any home made water.........we all agree on that !!!

In another word, it is not magic, it is just "Ocean Water". With pros and cons.

Ocean Water
Pros:
- Has all what ocean water has to have
- Easy to prepare (you heat it, measure salinity just in case and done)
Cons:
- It is more expensive.

Home made water (salt mix):
Pros:
-It is cheaper than Ocean Water
- With good water quality to dissolve the salt mixture corals drive healthy.
Cons:
- Does it have all the micro/macro elements that what Ocean water has ? I do not know.
- If the salt mixture has all the ocean elements added by the manufacturer I can asure that unless you make all the salt mixture bag at once, it will be difficult to obtain an homogenous mixture.

Bottom line: Corals drive healthy in both waters (ocean or home made). If you follow all the basic of reef husbandry, good water quality for the salt mix, tank maintenance and supplementation (if needed) both waters will drive coral growth without any issue. No doubt here, no discussion on this point.

Last edited:
Beautiful tank by the way!!!

Thank you !!!........but it is a "new tank". The challenge will be to keep it for the long term. Tank was set-up on 4 of July of this year. Instantly cycled with sand and live rocks. All those corals are not older than 3,5 months. But they are growing and I am very happy about it. The easy growing ones have an incredible growth. Will post 2 pictures laters

Thanks again
Daniel

Last edited:
I will keep mixing my Reef Crystals salt mix... I have never been disappointed with it, solid good readings/results all the way around.

Not to discredit anyone, but people are not always truthful with their tank maintenance/regime, not sure why...

There are no "Super Tanks" out there, just like physics there are rules and husbandry that needs to be followed.

Experienced Reefers do not get sucked into foolish/miracle claims. It's a shame that these kind of statement will only affect inexperienced/New reefers that want to believe "it can be that easy"...

With all that being said, I'm not saying NSW isn't better than Synthetic Salt. I'm just saying it shouldn't be used as the replacement for proper livestock husbandry and up keeping. If I could afford it, I would do all my water changes with it! :D;)

Higor

Sent from my Galaxy S4

I agree this is not for large tank ($ issue), that is why I can not afford to use natural sea water in a box for myself. But one of my friend (not on BRS) can afford it in his 75 gallon mix reef and the growth and color is incredible.
Also he has very little fish lost.

By the way, Petco seawater is rebadge Catalina sea water which is pretty good and used even by public aquarium.

Yup, and things change in this hobby. At one time I thought Red sea made the worst test kits ever.
Now I think their Pro kit is one of the best I've ever used.

Thank you !!!........but it is a "new tank". The challenge will be to keep it for the long term. Tank was set-up on 4 of July of this year. Instantly cycled with sand and live rocks. All those corals are not older than 3,5 months. But they are growing and I am very happy about it. The easy growing ones have an incredible growth. Will post 2 pictures laters

Placed in the Tank by end of July 2013:

TODAY, END OF OCTOBER

Placed in the Tank by end of July 2013:

TODAY, END OF OCTOBER

Last edited:
Acro with some bleaching? added in the tank mid August

Picture taken 1 week ago (sorry again, low light and not best focus) . Important encrusting growth and two coral tips growing

Last edited:
If I could afford it, I would do all my water changes with it! :D;)

Yup, but sometimes I add a box or two to my reef tank and somehow the polyps extension is much greater right after it.

Yup, but sometimes I add a box or two to my reef tank and somehow the polyps extension is much greater right after it.

When I add food to my tank they do it as well!!! ;):) Sorry, couldn't help my self Dong :rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy S4

if any sponsor can do a pooled order for ...Petco (well, Catalina actually) sea water, I will be in.
Now I buy several boxes when I get a 20% off coupon in the mail once a while.

I will keep mixing my Reef Crystals salt mix... I have never been disappointed with it, solid good readings/results all the way around.

Not to discredit anyone, but people are not always truthful with their tank maintenance/regime, not sure why...

There are no "Super Tanks" out there, just like physics there are rules and husbandry that needs to be followed.

Experienced Reefers do not get sucked into foolish/miracle claims. It's a shame that these kind of statement will only affect inexperienced/New reefers that want to believe "it can be that easy"...

With all that being said, I'm not saying NSW isn't better than Synthetic Salt. I'm just saying it shouldn't be used as the replacement for proper livestock husbandry and up keeping. If I could afford it, I would do all my water changes with it! :D;)

Higor

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Although I do not believe anyone on this thread said that Natural Ocean Water would replace a good reef keeping regime,I agree Higor!
I can not understand why someone would exaggerate or lie about what they do to their reef tank! (I think we have all witness that on this site! :) ) I have kept all types of tanks for over twenty years. A couple of years ago I got back into reef tanks. Although the products and equipment have changed, the one thing that has not is the need for good husbandry. (water changes!) There is no miracle water or magic water to keep a good reef tank and I hope you do not think I believed that.

Last edited:
Although I do not believe anyone on this thread said that Natural Ocean Water would replace a good reef keeping regime,I agree Higor!
I can not understand why someone would exaggerate or lie about what they do to their reef tank! (I think we have all witness that on this site! :) ) I have kept all types of tanks for over twenty years. A couple of years ago I got back into reef tanks. Although the products and equipment have changed, the one thing that has not is the need for good husbandry. (water changes!) There is no miracle water or magic water to keep a good reef tank and I hope you do not think I believed that.

Neither I do believe in Magic stuff. I hope that was understood in all my Bla Bla......

Daniel

No one is saying that Petco water can be used a few times and you never have to do water changes, clean or dose the tank.

Petco water is natural water, as such, it is balanced and contains all the elements that natural sea water contains.

Is it more exoensive? -yes.
Is it better than salt? - most likely
Will corals do good with salt or NSW? - yes.

Now, based on budget, each person can decide.

I dont think members lie, I just think some might exagerate, but that's why you need to do your own damn research and not just rely on a bunch of stuff people write in one forum. Posting on this forum should be part of your research.

My posting was in response to Higors post.

No one is saying that Petco water can be used a few times and you never have to do water changes, clean or dose the tank.

Petco water is natural water, as such, it is balanced and contains all the elements that natural sea water contains.

I dont think members lie, I just think some might exagerate, but that's why you need to do your own damn research and not just rely on a bunch of stuff people write in one forum. Posting on this forum should be part of your research.

Note that "This is me" was talking about a certain person. Not anyone else...

I can't say NSW is better or not as good as Synthetic Salt for sure in this matter.

Unless someone comes up with scientific proof on this I will say it still up in the air.

I'm am sure that our hobby has come such long way that some people would say that NSW is just a bust and a way for people to charge more and make people feel better.

Scientifically speaking, u can put any "trace elements" in synthetic salts as NSW has. Or damm close to it.

Now if ur tank does better with NSW, great. Not to make anyone upset or nothing, but probably less than 10% of successful reeffers in this hobby will ever attest to NSW being used or being the reason why they have such success in the hobby. It is not just feasible, or necessary to use it with how far the hobby has come.

Higor
Sent from my Galaxy S4

Last edited:
I know who "this is me" is talking about. I just ignore that persons posts because they are full of miss information, post one thing, PMs me a complete different thing.

Back