Reef Crystals batch is whack..

So is instant ocean salt levels better for acropora than reef crystals salt? I have been using reef crystals for the past year but wonder if I can save some money and just buy instant ocean instead. My system is 500 gallons total so I cannot break the bank with red sea salt. I have a predominantly SPS system so would I be better to switch?

Hmmm. I just measured RC water that’s been mixed for five days @ 9.3 dKH.

Have others verified the low readings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am wondering if your systems are so starved for all that when they go in it just temporarily stops the dissolving process in your tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using RC for the last 3 years in this way:

Weekend Water Change :25 G

After I do the WC :

-I have 1 Brute tank with 30G of RODI filtered the previous week. This RODI water is passed the mixing tank (30G Brute). To which I add RC salt.
- Then I leave it mixing (pump) + Air pump + heater, for another FULL WEEK. (in other words, till next WC).
- Now the RODI brute is empty, so immediately I start to filter water. That RODI freshly made water stays in the brute for a week until all the cycle is repeated.

In other words: I have 2 30G brutes, one with RODI and the other with RC salt water standing for a week. The salt water has a pump, air-pump and heater.

I NEVER measured the RC Alk before the WC. I only care of the tank Alk. The tank has been always between 6.5 - 8 (along all those years) with an average of 7-7.5 most of the time.

Cheers
Daniel

I have been using RC for the last 3 years in this way:

Weekend Water Change :25 G

After I do the WC :

-I have 1 Brute tank with 30G of RODI filtered the previous week. This RODI water is passed the mixing tank (30G Brute). To which I add RC salt.
- Then I leave it mixing (pump) + Air pump + heater, for another FULL WEEK. (in other words, till next WC).
- Now the RODI brute is empty, so immediately I start to filter water. That RODI freshly made water stays in the brute for a week until all the cycle is repeated.

In other words: I have 2 30G brutes, one with RODI and the other with RC salt water standing for a week. The salt water has a pump, air-pump and heater.

I NEVER measured the RC Alk before the WC. I only care of the tank Alk. The tank has been always between 6.5 - 8 (along all those years) with an average of 7-7.5 most of the time.

Cheers
Daniel

JC, why do you feel the need of air pump in your mixing tank? Myself (and I believe most others) only use a mixing pump which can also provide aeration?

I also have air stones and a pump mixing the salt water for a week. I have no clue why I just copied my buddy from years ago lol.

I am thinking that the alk is probably precipitating. I ordered some regular IO salt and I will see what those levels look like over the next few water changes.

JC, why do you feel the need of air pump in your mixing tank? Myself (and I believe most others) only use a mixing pump which can also provide aeration?

To have an equilibrated pH by the time of my WC.

The pump moves the water in the brute but do not create a good water Surface Movement to allow a good oxygen exchange as it is at the bottom of the brute. That is my hypothesis. I never have done any measure to test if that is true. It was easy to add a PETCO big air pump to provide more water movement and oxygen exchange.

By the way, let me share some pictures of my tank after I moved the huge Pink Policipora colony and the bluish branched Acro colony located at the center of the tank. I added corals I had in the fuge in the center.

Cheers
Daniel
e798405f61040421a4286b714e60d755.jpg
54106749b978d63829749d849e1dde99.jpg
452c7f9878e733499a46a73f17724240.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The white stuff at the back is epoxy to cover an unwanted zoa colony

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Why do you mix the water for so long? I mix my Red Sea blue bucket for a couple hours and it’s good to go. My instant ocean (aka qt system salt) I mix over night. I find the longer you mix IO the more precipitate you get left over in the barrel. Just mixing over night I barrel is clean afterwards and water is crystal clear. When I mixed for days on end I’d get a film on my pump and heater along with drops in alk.

Why do you mix the water for so long? I mix my Red Sea blue bucket for a couple hours and it’s good to go. My instant ocean (aka qt system salt) I mix over night. I find the longer you mix IO the more precipitate you get left over in the barrel. Just mixing over night I barrel is clean afterwards and water is crystal clear. When I mixed for days on end I’d get a film on my pump and heater along with drops in alk.

The Brown film left by Instant Ocean salts (both) have been discussed a lot. There is no harm of it.

Why so long ? Just because it fits my schedule. I change water and the same day prepare new one. I left it there until the next WC and do not have to worry of remembering to do it a couple of days or 24 hours before.

Beside, I am a believer that the water parameters settle better in that period of time. BUT I can't prove that. So do not take it as a fact.

Cheers
Daniel
Ps: I measured alk yesterday night, as always at the same time. It was 6.5 dkh and the corals were very happy. Most of them extend their polyps after the light go off. My pumps finish dosing at 6 PM, lights go off at 9 PM and I measure alk at 10-11 PM, at least once a week.

Nice looking tank Nemo.

I do the same exact thing mix while doing the weekly w/c maintenance. I do all my maintenance at once - clean skimmer cup, top off reservoirs/ limewater and change carbon when need be. I then mix the batch for next week and always have salt mix in case of an emergency.

Now I'm scratching my head because clearly this method is messing with my alk.. and my brain.. and my pride..

Thank God its golf season!

Back