Reefkeeping, Providence Area, & Septic Tanks

TheBigDrewsky

BRS Member
Hello and thanks in advance for comments…

After an 8 year absence looking to get back into the hobby. In that time, we moved to the South and West of Providence. The new house we are in has septic.

Trying to think of creative ways to make RO (as well as salt water) without significant water waste (without dumping into septic) as well as a way to get ride of saltwater waste (again, not into the septic). I think this would involve some sort of RODI system with a 1:1 (or similar) ratio and only do small batches per week.

Main plumbing of the house is nearly immediately below the proposed tank location in the unfinished basement. The only options I can think of would be set up RODI in basement - using large Brute can for RO and another for waste (??) and then figuring out a way to pump the RO up to a third large Brute into a closet (next door to the proposed tank) to make saltwater.

The next challenge would be (1) figuring out a way to pump the waste water up to same space and try to find a way to sneak the water out the front or side of the house, and (2) trying to rid the saltwater waste out of the house during WCs In a way that doesn’t freeze up in the winter.

I dont know if this makes sense or not, so grateful for any thoughts or ideas.

Andrew

You could do a basic dry-well outside maybe 15 off the house foundation. Cheap and easy way is to dig a hole maybe 5'x5' or 6'x6' ish. Run a pvc pipe in a trench to the hole in the ground. End the pipe in the dead center, fill the hole with 3/4" crushed stone. Put a layer of weed fabric on top, 4-5" of loam, and seed it. That's your drain. As long as you don't use it for laundry, it will never fail you. You would need to rent a mini excavator most likely, or find a guy to dig the hole and trench for you. You don't need a tank for this type of dry-well. I've installed them to resolve storm runoff drainage for customers in the past and they work great.

I’m in a similar position. I run my waste water from rodi outside via a long line. In the back, I dug a 3’ deep hole, 6” pvc, rocks etc to let the water change water out. Works easy enough. Get a tube size that won’t flood the drain pipe

I run a 1:1 rodi and waste waters some grass and weeds. As far as waste saltwater if I ever have any, it goes down the toilet into the septic tank. By the time it corrodes it, I'll be dead.

Could always put the rodi and the mixing station in the uinfinished basement along with the sump and just pump your water up a floor into the tank.

I run a 1:1 rodi and waste waters some grass and weeds. As far as waste saltwater if I ever have any, it goes down the toilet into the septic tank. By the time it corrodes it, I'll be dead.

Could always put the rodi and the mixing station in the uinfinished basement along with the sump and just pump your water up a floor into the tank.

Hello and thanks for the suggestions. Question for BiGGiePauls33, are you using something other than a $1000 spectrapure? Also, curious as to why no saltwater waste? Reefmat?

Sooooo much hs changed in the last 7 years. We were religiously doing a 30% water change weekly back in the day…..

Thanks!

If you use the "@" and then the username, that user will receive a notification. To answer your question, I run the Reef Moonshiners Method and haven't done a water change in about 18 months so no waste really other than a spill here and there due to bagging corals. I run a BRS 150 gpd with 6 or 7 stages. Mainly for top off these days, occasionally I'll mix up 10 gallons of red sea blue bucket to maintain specific gravity.

If you use the "@" and then the username, that user will receive a notification. To answer your question, I run the Reef Moonshiners Method and haven't done a water change in about 18 months so no waste really other than a spill here and there due to bagging corals. I run a BRS 150 gpd with 6 or 7 stages. Mainly for top off these days, occasionally I'll mix up 10 gallons of red sea blue bucket to maintain specific gravity.
Thanks for the tips!

Yes reef moonshiners could be a good option if you don’t want to deal with waste water, I run it as well and it’s a viable way to run a tank

Morning…. @BiGGiePauls33 - Can you recommend a good system that gives you the 1:1? All I see on BRS is a 150 gpd upgrade…upgrade from what? And it shows a 2:1 (which is still better than nothing…) And what would an expected cost for something like this be in your mind?

Morning…. @BiGGiePauls33 - Can you recommend a good system that gives you the 1:1? All I see on BRS is a 150 gpd upgrade…upgrade from what? And it shows a 2:1 (which is still better than nothing…) And what would an expected cost for something like this be in your mind?
Sorry, mine is 150gpd and is 1.5:1.

This model is 1.5:1 and $280

RO waste to the lawn.
Water change waste to the street or into the ravine. I run a CWC with like going into the ravine in the back. In the winter, I drain the ~5gallons a day into a 60G drum and pump it out to the street when it’s full.

I run an Rodi with 1:1 ratio. Everything goes into the septic. Not sure why you worry about a septic with extra water running through it, it will just flow into the leaching field. Biggest worry with septic is solids that will make it build up quicker or anything that has high chlorine and will kill off the bacteria in it.

I dump my water change there too, about 5 gal per week

I agree that using waste for watering grass or plants is better but extra water won’t kill a septic

If I had a massive tank and was dumping hundreds of gal per week then I might cause the leaching field to fail quicker

My kids used to dump more water down the drain when they took a 30 min shower with the rain head running continually

Btw to get close to 1:1 you really need a booster pump. Much better ratio with high pressure.

Without it these waste much more water

I run a full 80psi to the RO filter and have a gauge there to make sure. I’m on well water so can’t even run this without a booster

RO waste can be used in lawn like others said, also reused to wash non clothes in machine. Things like dog beds, filter socks, outside furnature covers.

As for waste salt? Just dump it in the street, I live in Pawtucket, and just dump it off my deck onto my own side walk, and let it run into the street. Or use it as natural weed killers on my patio bricks lol

I did think dumping salt water down my sink/toilet would kill my septic system? The salt water is corrosive = would ruin septic and that much water down the drain would kill the bacteria that keeps the septic healthy? I currently have a dedicated 100 foot hose and a pump I use to drain the salt water far away from my house, grass, and trees. (Before I move to the 100 foot hose I used a 25 foot hose and the trees by my house got sick )

how do you effectively use the old R/O water to water your yard? Hmm I do 60 gallons at a time water change... on a 200 gallon reef. I would love to water my yard with the run off but am logistically thinking how? as in I have a sprinkler system.... the only way I can think is to hand water... but that is way to much to hand water?

Neptune

If anyone is interested in serious water holding capability for RO, RO waste, or saltwater waste, PM me for availability of 275-gallon IBC containers. These are the white plastic square containers with the galvanized pipe roll cage type deal on the outside. All are complete with lids for pressure holding and pretty reliable valves on the drain. Not stained, dented, or mangled in anyway. They were filled once when new and never used again. Be serious, these things are huge and absolutely will not fit in the back of a Lexus...lol
Not looking for cash really....trades?

Back