September Disaster Prevention and Reefkeeping Chemistry for Dummies meeting!!!

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
The BRS is proud to announce that our own Greg Hiller will be the speaker for the next monthly meeting on Sunday September 16th at the North Andover VFW club. The topic will be "Disaster Prevention and Reefkeeping Chemistry for Dummies (I'm not judging!)" For those of you that haven't had the privilege of attending one of Greg's presentations it is always a great time.

Greg_Hiller_tb.jpg

Here is a little background on Greg, he has been active in the reefkeeping hobby since 1996, starting out in the early days using Compuserve's Fishnet forum as a troubleshooting resource. The lessons learned online from experienced aquarists resulted in such rapid coral growth in his tanks that he needed to learn and develop techniques of coral propagation/fragmentation. Greg has raised several species of marine fish and propagated dozens of species of soft and hard corals, and anemonies/corallimorphs. As most of you know Greg is a founding member of our club and was a member of the board of directors for several years.

Greg holds a Ph.D. in chemical/biochemical engineering from U.C. Berkeley which he believes has contributed to his success in the reefkeeping hobby. Understanding the basics of chemistry, combined with biology and engineering have helped with numerous fishy-type projects from raising seahorses to building calcium reactors. Greg has authored a number of articles for online hobbyist publications, most dealing with chemistry aspects of the hobby.

Tentative schedule for the meeting (this schedule may change, check back to this thread for updates as we get closer to the day of the meeting):

12:30 pm - 1:30 pm - Meet and greet/membership registration

1:30 pm - 2:30 pm - Greg Hiller presentation

2:30 pm - - Food

2:30 pm - 4:30 pm - Fragswap mayhem/socializing/meeting cleanup AKA fun stuff :D

Reminder: we try our best to keep the meeting on time, but there are a lot of things that are out of our control, so the times are subject to change, do not take these times as gospel please. Check back to this thread for updates as we get closer to the day of the meeting.

So again the details are as followed...

Where:
North Andover VFW post 2124
32 Park St
North Andover MA 01845

Directions

When: Sunday September 16th
Time: 12:30 PM - 4:30 PM

Last edited:
Also stay tuned to hopefully some more great announcements about this meeting as we have a few more surprises in the works :D

I could not be happier!!!! This will be my first meeting for sure! I cant wait to become an actual member of this incredible club. Looking very very very forward to this.

$20 for a single membership / $25 if I recall for a family. Guests are always welcome to the meetings, no charge.

Correct. Free and family/friend friendly.

But keep in mind that it is a combination of membership/auction event and activities that keep great speakers participating at our meetings. Plus a server/medium to keep the forum up and running for all to communicate and share knowledge.

The vast knowledge base and members you meet with the same interest is well worth the nominal membership fee. Which you will recoup back one way or another quickly.

Good Luck and hope RO see you at the next meeting.

By the way Dave. I was in Ipswich the other day working. Next time maybe i could swing by and admire your acan obsession!

My tank is in no conditon to show off... Between two jobs and running the club its taking a backseat :-(

What is the frag swap all about?

It's just basically a time to let people sell/trade their frags. You'll see a lot of for sale threads offering to deliver at the meetings...

As an additional incentive for those that attend the meeting, are BRS members, and stay awake during my presentation (!!!) I'll also have on hand some freebies that I'll whip up in the lab before I come. I'll likely have some homemade (but extremely accurate) alkalinity test kits, salinity standards for refractometers, and even potentially some artificial seawater standards you can use to check the accuracy of some of your test kits.

The BRS is proud to announce that the crew from Unique Aquaria will be sponsoring the meeting and will be setting up a table with some of their great goodies!!!

attachment.php

Back