September Disaster Prevention and Reefkeeping Chemistry for Dummies meeting!!!

I hope folks got something out of the presentations. I condensed a ton of information into that 60 minutes. It seemed like folks were paying pretty close attention. A few people asked about the links to the on-line articles about disaster prevention. They, and some of the links to my other articles are here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/author/gh.php

The next meeting will be Saturday October 27th from noon-4pm at the Taunton VFW... I will be posting details image few hours when I get to a computer...

I hope folks got something out of the presentations. I condensed a ton of information into that 60 minutes. It seemed like folks were paying pretty close attention. A few people asked about the links to the on-line articles about disaster prevention. They, and some of the links to my other articles are here:

Don't do it!!! It'll just scare you more if you have all the details... But seriously a huge thanks to Greg for speaking and now is the perfect time to prepare the tanks for the upcoming winter!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347923067.424336.jpgfish goo!!!

The presentation was much appreciated especially for a newbie like myself. Tons of great info!

Thanks Greg, I am looking for your Alkalinity Reagent preparation, refractor cal sln, or frankly Im interesting in test kit preps. Chemist in management misses the hood and rotovap.

Here is a good one. I snagged a bottle of the free fish food at the meeting on Sunday. Seems to be that the fish are not to keen on it, but the dog loved it.

Thanks Greg, I am looking for your Alkalinity Reagent preparation, refractor cal sln, or frankly Im interesting in test kit preps. Chemist in management misses the hood and rotovap>

Ah....the rotvap.....best part are the vapors coming off of it!

The alkalinity regeant can be prepared by dissolving a bit of bromophenol blue with some NaOH and then adding some HCl:

Generally:

0.2 g bromophenol blue
add a tiny bit of DI water, maybe 10 ml or so, then add 0.2 ml of 5 M NaOH. Once the bromophenol blue completely dissolves you can add 800 ml of DI water, then 4.15 ml of conc. HCl (the 36% stuff).

Then you take 15 ml of tank water, put it into a small plastic cup and add the alkalinity reagent dropwise until the blue goes away. You can calibrate the solution with a know alkalinity standard.

The refractometer soln. is as per Randy H-S's article:

made by dissolving 3.65 grams of sodium chloride in 96.35 grams (mL) of purified freshwater

The artificial saltwater (calcium/magnesium/alkalinity standard) is

art saltwater std.JPG>

The EDTA prep for the HACH test kit modification is a little more involved. If you are really interested and already have the HA-4P test kit, let me know.

Back