RKE Head Unit frozen -- help?

Sherri

Non-member
So I came home and cannot seem to get a response from the head unit. I added UV to deal with the ich and algae while I was gone and I had programmed it before I left. The pump is supposed to be on 24/7 but it was not on. I tried to check my programming but could not get off of the home page. I turned the power off both through the power strips and then even unplugged the head until from the SL1 - still no response. I have started a thread on DA but sometimes they take forever. The only other idea I have is to reload the software. Anyone??? Oh -- everything is running fine I just cannot change anything.

Never mind -- somehow the keypad got locked and someone on the DA forum gave me the sequence to unlock it. All set.

If the keypad just keeps locking you can disable it in the Menu.

Press Menu -> then go to Sys -> then you should see Key lock (4th one down) enter on this and then select Off, make sure you save it.

I don't think the keypad is locking. I think it was a coincidence the other day when it "unlocked" - I think it was unfreezing when I put in the unlock sequence. I just tried unlocking it and it did not work. I think I must have a software issue. Today was the first day I could go mess with it since the weekend. No joy here. All frozen up.

Do you know what firmware you are running? Also are the channels functioning properly (lights turning on/off when they are suppose to)? Do you notice if any of the icons on the bottom of the screen are still moving?

Last edited:
I have not talked to them yet as it has been a very busy week. I will try tonight when I get home and hopefully will get some help. Problem is that they are on the West Coast and the until is frozen in the morning -- not at night. I will see what they say tonight. No DA people have posted on my thread on their forum so...

I am on the latest firmware as I upgraded it all recently. Not sure if there has been a new release. Everything works except the new pump that was added so I just plugged it into regular socket for now. But everything else is working -- lights, heaters , etc. It is kinda weird.

So I just did an experiment -- I unplugged the light for the UV. Key pad immediately unfrozen. HMMMM -- even when I plug into a different socket it freezes the keypad. So for some reason the unit does not like the UV light.

Try placing the UV light on a surge suppressor then plug the surge suppressor into the channel, see if that locks it back up.

Sorry -- just got way too busy. Anyway -- bought a small surge protector but it made no difference. It is actually protecting the wrong way anyway don't you think? I am not an electrician so forgive me but aren't those designed to protect what is being plugged in from surges from the source? Don't I need to protect the unit from the light?

Well I talked to them. It turns out that there is some kind of interference caused by the UV light and the touch pad. That is why they went to V2 on the head unit as I guess this was happening with different equipment. So I can trade up for $100 or find a way other than a surge protector to stop the interference.

Back