Safety of reef tank w/ a cat?

L33T

Non-member
Hi,

I wanna get a kitten as a new addition to the apartment. My reef tank consists of an open-top 24g AquaPod (w/ the metal halides) sitting on top of a metal frame. I drape a vinyl sheet over the metal frame so it looks not quite so ghetto, but forgive the college dorm look.

Anyway, beneath it is a 5.5g sump with a SeaClone skimmer and an HOB Prism skimmer. I use a U-tube type overflow to get the water down to the smaller tank; the tube just sorta sits in the sump, and some pump to pump it back to the main tank. The sump is open top too.

Then there's this pitcher of Kalkwasser with a U-tube type siphon that drips into the sump.

Anyway, would it be alright to get a kitten? My girlfriend and I want one, but we're not sure if it would be safe with the critters in the tank (corals, firefish, seahorses, snails, hermit crabs, &c)?

Thanks!

The critters should be safe, it's the kitten you should worry about. That kalkwasser sure can look delicious sometimes.

Also what about the metal halides -- they're quite hot ... I could imagine a theoretical scenario where the kitty's tail gets burnt... or is that unlikely?

I had to fish my cat out of my 90 a couple of years ago, she was so frightened I thought for sure she would learn something but she still climbs all over it.

Jim

Any clear tubing with water moving through it would probably be fair game for a bored kitten when left alone for any period of time imo. There is at least one thread on here with a kitten chewing up someon'e rodi tubing. FWIW, my cat's favorite place is on top of the hood when the lights are on, even on the hottest summer days. He always seeks out the hottest place in the house though.

That's a pretty funny visual Jim.

If it happens once the cat will learn

:D "OMFG, my tail is gone!!"

(1 month later)

"OMFG, what is that burning smell?! OMFG, it's my tail... wait; wait... this seems to be a familiar situation...:rolleyes:"

Any clear tubing with water moving through it would probably be fair game for a bored kitten when left alone for any period of time imo. There is at least one thread on here with a kitten chewing up someon'e rodi tubing. FWIW, my cat's favorite place is on top of the hood when the lights are on, even on the hottest summer days. He always seeks out the hottest place in the house though.

That's a pretty funny visual Jim.

So what do you guys do to prevent them from chewing tubes? Since chewing the overflow or something like that would create a 30+ gal flood.:eek:

what me and my girl did was adopt a 1year old cat out of baby stage and let me tell u some thing she would rather sit on my lap will testing water instead of chasing fish she could care less of the tank plus most cats dont like getting wet or what u can do is if the cat is trying 2 do somthing wrong give them a little pump of the skwirt bottle and they will get the hint

I have had no problems with my cat but she was an adult when I got the tank. I agree that I would be much more worried about the cat than the tank. Just make sure the cat couldn't knock the light into the water and you will probably be fine.

I have three cats, but only 2 i had as kittens. Both of which are interested in the tank and occasionally lay on top for the heat, but have never broke or hurt anything.

I would say dont worry about it too much, just baby proof the tank.

Hide all loose cords
Close off/Seal the stand
Dont leave anything breakable around.

I got a little ultility plastic draw thingi and it holds all my supplies

We have 3 cats in our house and none of them really care about any of the tanks. They don't even watch the fish. We do have one cat that is like a heat seeking missile and likes to climb on the hood of one of the BioCubes to sleep. Well, he got a surprise a few weeks ago when he went to jump on top of that tank and unbeknownst to him the hood was off during cleaning. He fell right in the tank and jumped out like he was shot out of a cannon. (This was a couple days after his ding-a-ling brother did the same thing.) Let me tell you, cats are smart - now they check to make sure the hood is on! The good thing is there was no carnage to any tank inhabitants - it is, however, nearly impossible to catch a wet, angry cat in order to towel them off before they start trying to clean themselves and realize it's saltwater . . .

As far as inappropriate chewing, etc. - all you have to do is startle the cat by raising your voice and reprimanding them if they attempt to mess with anything you don't want them getting into or playing with. You need to be firm and consistent with your discipline/training. Using a spray bottle of water is highly effective at detering inappropriate behavior, too. Once a cat gets blasted in the face with water a few times it clearly learns what is, and what is not, acceptable conduct. We used a spray bottle to blast the cats when they were little and now we don't even need to actually use the bottle to deter them - if we just motion with our hands and make a spray bottle kind of noise they take off running. (Hint: You need to use one of those good spray bottles like you get in the Garden Department at a hardware store, not one of those lame water bottles like from the Health and Beauty section of a department store.)

Since you are getting a kitten you should be able to train it from a young age regarding what things are "off limits" in your house. Use the same methods that you are going to use for the tank to set ground rules regarding your furniture, etc. Just make sure that the kitten has plenty of appropriate toys of its own to play with, places to snuggle up and you will be fine IMO. :)

Our kitten is interested in everything, including the birds, fish tanks, etc. We had 2 older/disabled cats before and everything was fine. Then we got the kitten.

Needless to say, the squirt bottle was used ad libitum around the birds and we no longer have a (significant) problem.

As far as the fish go, the kitten LOVES anything involving running water. She loves watching the toilet flush, and enjoys licking water off our feet after we get out of the shower. She's never really tried to get up on the tanks, but that could also be because there's always a dog or cat to stalk or jump on. However, one thing that worked for me to keep her away from the buckets in which i mix my salt water was to just leave one open next to the tank one day, with the powerhead on and the water churning. She took a nice facefull, and hasn't come near that area since.

I think as long as you make sure the kitten has toys and things to climb on and play in that are appropriate, you shouldn't have a problem. The key is to keep her from viewing the fish tank as his/her main source of entertainment. Invest in a climbing tree and scratching post and cat nip and balls with bells in them, and leave the non-dangerous and non-expensive things out for her to learn on - like buckets of mixing water. Good luck!

Edit: I should have read Palyanna's post first! Agreed about the spray bottle. Make sure you get one with a nice, solid stream that can reach at least 5 feet.

Last edited:
Back