Saved our 1st jumper, cleanup crew a bit anxious!

Zedx6

Non-member
As I have been away for the past 10 weeks Steph has been taking care of the tanks. Last night as I fell asleep on the couch she decided she would take care of the top off water and shut off the actinics, to her surprise she stepped on a fish. I jumped up from the couch as she screamed,scooped up the chromis and put him back into the tank. Things did not look good as he nose dived to the bottom. I headed downstairs to get the net to scoop him out when she said he was still breathing, my cleaner shrimp and an emerald crab were already onsite.Well to make along story short the little guy made it but has a chunk out of his back from the emerald crab and has been placed in quarantine for now.Is there anything I should treat him with or just keep him in quarantine til he gets better?

Maybe alittle stress coat or prime? is it? to help produce some thick slime coat, & watch for infections.

melafix may help too if you have any handy- but not if you have a skimmer in there, it'll make it go crazy.

Not to sound crude as every bit of life is precious...But I would just let it be.

If it lives, cool...if not..it's $5 for a lesson learned...But where you haven't had it for years and years or extremely rare fish, don't spend more than it's worth...You'll need that money down the road for something else.

Cover where ever it jumped from, chromis aren't usually jumpers, so if he got out, chances are someone else will..

I hope your little fish will get well soon.

Chromis are ver hardy. You may want to avoid feeding it for a day or two just to keep the water clean, Put in some rocks to provide some hiding place. Lower the salinity a little to make it breath easier.

Back