Suggestions on Potter's angel, Potters wrasse, and a four line wrasse

merk1_99

Salting away
What would hyou add first to the tank. Currently a 75 with a YT and maroon clown. Potters angel, potters wrasse, or 4 line. My concern is I just swapped over tanks about a month ago. Not sure on the pod pop. I used the same LR and it is still covered with life. Sand is all new....I'm inclined to go for the 4 line. Since I am reasonably sure I can get him to eat. Where as both Potter's will require training. I'm just wondering if the pod worm pop will be large enough for them to eat till they get on frozen....

With either Potter's, I'd try VERY hard to get one either from someone's established tank (if they're actually willing to give it up), or see it eat frozen at an LFS.

The big concern I'd have, with the eating thing aside, is the nature of the fish in there before them - maroon's can certainly be nasty little creatures when they want to be, and I've also seen some pretty psychotic yellow tangs.

FWIW - my Potter's Angel doesn't seem to eat many pods at all from what I can tell. He does eat algae off the glass though, and eats frozen like a PIG.

My Potter's Angel doesn't seem to eat any pods either. He has been in the tank for a year now and picks at the algae, eats frozen mysis and flakes. I would start with a smaller Potter's, if you can find one. That's what I did because they usually haven't developed a taste for corals yet.

My suggestion would be to wait until you have plenty of growth for the angel to pick on because he will likely not eat for while after introduction. I don't know about Potters wrasse, but Potter's angels are pretty fragile at first, but can be great.

If i don't see a Potter's angel eat I'm not buying. I really want one but not to the point of stupidity. I'm reluctant on the Potter's wrasse because they are a delicate species too. So I can line with a 4 line. I think they are sweet too. Trying to get the Hawaiian species tank together...The only one who won't be is my maroon who I really like. I am a maroon defender always been one of my fave. Something to be said a bout a 5'' clown vs those little small ones.

Good idea on the fish. Maroon's can be nasty, but I'm sure not all of them. I've heard if they host an anemone the chances are higher they will take a chunk out of your hand - just ask Dong! He's got scars from his female maroon! :)

My maroon has loved nipped me....She isn't as nasty as my YT. My YT gouged my pretty good last weekend. Hey I suppose I would get testy if someone was reaching around my glass box, for no apparent reason.

Def. be careful with what you add to the tank then - they will need a good month AT LEAST of QT before you put them in (to get comfortable), and even after that, I'd rearrange the rockwork and keep the lights out for a while just to let the new fish adjust without getting beaten the crap out of. It will make the YT and maroon a little less territorial.

Def. be careful with what you add to the tank then - they will need a good month AT LEAST of QT before you put them in (to get comfortable), and even after that, I'd rearrange the rockwork and keep the lights out for a while just to let the new fish adjust without getting beaten the crap out of. It will make the YT and maroon a little less territorial.

If you put leopards, or a potters angel into a standard QT, I can guarantee it'll be dead.

These fish really need to be in a reef setting. The need to be near rock, and need plenty of flora and fauna. Set up your QT, but throw in some sand, some LR, and some macro. Basically turn it into a fuge. If you need to medicate, move them to a hospital tank, but not unless needed.

Good point Rich - I didn't QT my Potter's Angel, but I also didn't have any aggressive fish in my display before him that I had to worry about. I should've thought of that.

I was going to set up a mini reef as a QT with live rock and sand. I was planning on rotating LR in and out of the tank every week or so...I have a lot of rock.
With limited livestock in the tank I could take the chance and just toss them in. But I have always and still preach a QT tank for all new fish. I'm not going to start the thread my fish are all ichy, or dead thread.

Got a mysis eating Potters today. Keeping my fingers crossed he is gorgeous.../the 4 line looked pretty sweet, maybe an early Christmas gift.

Back