thinking about switching to LED

I have 2 photon 24's over my 125 and I love them. I switched from the cheap blue/white LEDs and the full spectrum made a huge difference. The currently cant be controlled by a controller but they are programmable by themselves in 30 minute intervals. If you are considering them, they do group buys almost every month on reef central and can save you a bit of money but it takes about a month to get the lights.

If anybody is considering going DIY I would be interested in some ledgroupbuy heatsinks (2x12in makers) so we could possibly go over 199 total and get the free shipping.
I am considering a "dream chip" build so if anybody has any experience with them PLEASE share.

I switched from the cheap blue/white LEDs and the full spectrum made a huge difference.

The details of this fixture read:
channel 1; 12 4500K neutral whites, 4 480nm blues, 2 660nm reds, and 6 410-420nm violets.
Channel 2; 22 450nm royal blue, and 2 480nm blue,
Channel 3; 3 480nm blue moonlights.

Which LEDs did you take out and what did you replace them with? Greens? Hyper Reds? jw because I actually just got this fixture but with the stock LED's.

I have the Vegas and love them! My corals grow FAST!!! They are very powerful but very controllable. Plus the modularity is awesome! Good Luck!

I run a AI hydra over my 24x24 cube. I almost switch to a T5 fixture because I had only used LEDs. Started with the AI Sol blue. But I fret good growth and color. Tank never gets hot. I love the sunrise to sunset effect. Instead of just being on or off. They start off low get higher till mid day and then start to go back down. Cloud sweeps are cool as well but obv more of a show off thing.

I got a reefbreeders photon 48 just after Xmas and so far so good but I started out at 10% and am slowly working my way up. No solid opinions yet. The thin is all kinds of controllable but can't connect to my reefkeeper or anything. It's not needed due to its own controller though. So far I'm impressed and all my livestock looks happy

I got a reefbreeders photon 48 just after Xmas and so far so good but I started out at 10% and am slowly working my way up. No solid opinions yet. The thin is all kinds of controllable but can't connect to my reefkeeper or anything. It's not needed due to its own controller though. So far I'm impressed and all my livestock looks happy

How did you end up hanging the fixture?

For now it is suspended under a shelf. It looks ok I guess but not as nice as id like.
Some of the threads ive seen with the floating canopies look nice, I might do that in the future

The details of this fixture read:
channel 1; 12 4500K neutral whites, 4 480nm blues, 2 660nm reds, and 6 410-420nm violets.
Channel 2; 22 450nm royal blue, and 2 480nm blue,
Channel 3; 3 480nm blue moonlights.

Which LEDs did you take out and what did you replace them with? Greens? Hyper Reds? jw because I actually just got this fixture but with the stock LED's.
Sorry I didn't write that very clearly. I replaced my old blue/white fixture with the Reefbreeders fixture and left the layout the way it comes. I was saying that the photon layout of LEDs compared to my old fixture has been awesome

The Hyperion

Oh, I understand what your seeing. :)

so for the Hyperion S:

"Our flagship Hyperion lamp equipped with the new SMT (square matrix technology) LED panel with NO WHITE LEDs. “S” stands for shallow as the new LED panels gives off a remarkable turquoise blue color replicating the tropical sun shimmering in the shallow reefs of Bali. But, don't be fooled.. Hyperion S lamps can easily penetrate water over 36″ deep!"

The name if it is confusing :)

Ok I'll look more into the hyperian. I like the fact that it has t5s mixed in.

Just a clarification, Hyperion is led only, it's the Pandora fixtures that have both leds and t5s :)

- Archit

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Lol it's all good. I like a good debate, plus I do love the reliability of my halides. If my chiller would stop turning in constantly I wouldn't be considering it. Also Nstar in my area is going up 20% for electricity. So from 7 cents a kilowatt to like 11-12 cents a kilowatt and who says they're done. Hey if I can get the same results or something close, I would be fine. I'll read up in the radion gen2. I've heard some bad things about the software with those, but just as many good reviews as well, and yes my tank is a 4' tank. It's a standard 120 gallon. I measured the depth. Pretty close to 23". Maybe even 24". I think the dimensions are 48"x24x24 but not 100% sure. I'm measuring my depth including the sand

Sorry to go off topic here but NSTAR is increasing by almost 60% if your going from 7cents to 12cents per kilowatt. 20% increase would be 8.4cents. Would they really jump up that high in one year? Now back on topic: I use Halides on my 120G 4x2 DT, and 40B frag tank. I like the results Halides give you. I don't feel enough research has been done on LED technology. Lots of cheapo systems out there are driving people to switch more so than research and facts. I'm tempted all the time to buy LED and try them out. Then I look at the pile of parts and equipment I bought to "try out" in my basement and I decide against it.

Sorry I didn't write that very clearly. I replaced my old blue/white fixture with the Reefbreeders fixture and left the layout the way it comes. I was saying that the photon layout of LEDs compared to my old fixture has been awesome

Ahh ok. Thanks for clarifying.

I have a 48" fluval full spectrum led and 2 12k led reef strips and 2 453nm reef strips on either side of the fluval. My growth is amazing, polyp formation is exploding. I am successfully keeping a birds nest and all of my lps and softies are thriving with colors unlike anything. And I have to add nothing compares to that led 3d coral color glow. Is this setup better then halides? Possibly not or even possibly. But my tank thrives on this setup. Like anything else it all coincides with excellent water parameters and so on. All hand in hand. You can have $5,000 lighting system and ugly colored corals with limited growth due to parameters.

Keep in mind swapping from those halides to LEDs your corals are going to go through a definate adjustment period.

Back