thinking of switching back to t5

I fail to see how that's what that article says. All it compares is PAR per watt. It does not compare the spread, doesnot mention spectrum, or any of the advanced control features.

exactly, let that chart rest in peace, without the method of comparison and measurement, etc it's less useful than the roll of paper in my bathroom.

People just see the numbers on that chart ranked and assume it's the best fixture at the top and the worst at the bottom. Kind of irresponsible for people to just throw that out. Not to mention its in German and the average newbie on this site is probably not going to find a translation.

People just see the numbers on that chart ranked and assume it's the best fixture at the top and the worst at the bottom. Kind of irresponsible for people to just throw that out. Not to mention its in German and the average newbie on this site is probably not going to find a translation.

If you need a translation to read that chart, hmmmm... I am kinda speechless. but PAR is a standard measurement for LED R&D. No matter how fancy your LED software...

LMAO. But the chart does not show quantity "quality"

Hey man, both you and I are MH fans, so far the best LED still trying to catch up with MH/t-5 for spectrum quality. That is why I am still using MH for my high end sticks.
Also, it took me about 250 LED chips with all possible color spectrum to create a full(er) spectrum LED.

Finally got my sunpower ....put the bulbs in and turned on using manual settings for 1 second and it completely shut off. Pulled the plug and now led only shows a row of black squares. Going to call ati tomorrow but I'm pretty disappointed. Anyone had this problem before. Weird thing is it works fine the three times I turned it on with no bulbs

apparently just needed a hard reset. kinda weird but its working perfect now. All i can say is..Wow! forgot how good t5 looked. Pretty sure I will never go back to LED. down the road i may get a hybrid setup but full led is not for me.

apparently just needed a hard reset. kinda weird but its working perfect now. All i can say is..Wow! forgot how good t5 looked. Pretty sure I will never go back to LED. down the road i may get a hybrid setup but full led is not for me.

I'm glad you're happy with it, you need to post some pictures.

It is official....I hate LEDs....lol

I am back to T5...`

After running a VERY expensive Pacific Sun LED/T5 combo for almost 10 months...I can truly say...these are overpriced pieces of garbage. Also, I have sold over $10,000 in these lights and several of them are having issues (that are not being addressed by the US Pacific Sun rep...nor the parent company) My unit has had the T5 ballast blow...and has had several software issues, that I have had to reinstall the firmware a few times to fix...just not worth the money to me.
And the worst part is, that the 3' light does not even come close to lighting my 4' tank...like Pacific Sun said it would....
I have literally watched almost all of the Corals on the outer edges of my tank slowly recede over the last few months...while stuff in the "sweet spot" has done fine... Certain LPS have faded out and almost died off (like a bright red Lobophyllia that was right in the middle of the tank.) I put the Aquactinics T5 back on, and in one week Corals that were declining are on a HUGE rebound...(including said red Lobo)
Now I will say my SPS is not as happy and I lost 3 frags from the switch...but the rest of the tank is 10 times happier...

I do miss the shimmer of the LED light a bit....but the health of the Corals outweighs my personal desire for shimmering water anyday

Last edited:
my dream fixture would be a combo, MH/T5/LED, the leds just for the coral disco late at night lol.. I love my MHs and my hybrid MH/t5 combo. 16k-20k you get good color and growth. I do like what you can do with LEDS and I have seen some great health and growth with the reefbreeders in my tanks and others that were using the maxrazor units. But for me I think I will keep to my MH and T5s and just use LEDs for fun and very short lengths of time.

It is official....I hate LEDs....lol

I am back to T5...`

After running a VERY expensive Pacific Sun LED/T5 combo for almost 10 months...I can truly say...these are overpriced pieces of garbage. Also, I have sold over $10,000 in these lights and several of them are having issues (that are not being addressed by the US Pacific Sun rep...nor the parent company) My unit has had the T5 ballast blow...and has had several software issues, that I have had to reinstall the firmware a few times to fix...just not worth the money to me.
And the worst part is, that the 3' light does not even come close to lighting my 4' tank...like Pacific Sun said it would....
I have literally watched almost all of the Corals on the outer edges of my tank slowly recede over the last few months...while stuff in the "sweet spot" has done fine... Certain LPS have faded out and almost died off (like a bright red Lobophyllia that was right in the middle of the tank.) I put the Aquactinics T5 back on, and in one week Corals that were declining are on a HUGE rebound...(including said red Lobo)
Now I will say my SPS is not as happy and I lost 3 frags from the switch...but the rest of the tank is 10 times happier...

I do miss the shimmer of the LED light a bit....but the health of the Corals outweighs my personal desire for shimmering water anyday
You can add a couple of Kessil pendant to bring back the shimmer.

Not all LED created equally. I have a bunch of al-cheapo LED from Reef Breeder, Ocean Revive, Everygrow, no-name eBay types, from just blue and white to multi-color, even have Kessil, they all grow LPS and zoas fine. No, I am not yet ready to subject my priceless SPS collection to LED yet except the one I build.

Yes, ReefBreeder is made by Everygrow. But the layout is a little different. Ocean Revive also made by Everygrow I think.

I collect an assortment of popular inexpensive LED and compared them in terms of PAR and design, here are my opinions:
1. none of them lacks light penetration even to a tank as deep as 30 inch, those 90 degree lens is not necessary. In fact, the ones without lens has the best coverage and even spread.
2. lens also make disco effect more pronounce, in one of the fixture (not from Reef Breeder), I can see clear green dots and red dots on live rock.
3. One design has a pair of pass-through power sockets. So you can daisy chain them and minimizes the clutter of power cords.
4. All these are basic LED that can grow LPS and softy just fine. For SPS, they are good for frag growth but not really for large colonies due to intense shading of bottom branches.
5. For those fancy LED, you are paying for programmability and remote control etc, yet, also those lightening effects to scare the crap out of your fish.
6. For higher end LED, I will go with Radion Pro and AI 52 for quality and value. Also they do have great customer service.

Well I am fairly new to this hobby and yet have done tons of hours of research on lighting alone . I settled on T5's . Even after I was unsure . but after a few months and some pretty good growth on SPS and everything else ( which could be better, and will be once I get a bit better at this ) I have a 6 bulb over my 90 , almost everyone I talked to said this wasn't enough . I now have the light running only 4 bulbs for 10 hours the other 2 running only 2-3 hours a day . PLENTY of light . Thanks B for that light BTW and the advice on how to use it . my other tanks in basement are lit with Halides I may be picking up a couple LED lights to try out over my frag tank once that has some frags lol. and to light my other 210 which will possibly be fish only . still not sure about that . But yeah T5s STILL rock ....... One final note I don't think its fair to judge anyone , or any company for using LED or selling them . I wouldn't even call them Garbage . but they really should be doing longer research in labs and over tanks to get it right rather than dumping them in the Market to test over our tanks . use your imagination from there ......

LEDs have been around for a while now. Do any of these companies have 2-3 tanks set up with different types of lighting to compare? - if your product is so good, wouldn't that be the best way to sell it?

Back