thinking of switching back to t5

JTM4UG

REEFER
BRS Member
I have a AI sol on my tank right now and i feel like it was a big disappointment compared to my old full spectrum chinese led light. When I had the chinese full spectrum I felt like it was a huge step down from my 6 bulb ati t5. So im thinking of switching back. I have been looking at the dimmable 6 and 8 ati 24" fixtures, what does everybody think.

BTW im mainly talking about colors of corals in this thread.

Moved

I can't blame you. I'm running an ATI T5 lights and haven't even considered changing.

Combo led and t5 is working out really well for me right now. 4 Kessil 360s and 4 ati t5s

Combo led and t5 is working out really well for me right now. 4 Kessil 360s and 4 ati t5s
I feel like this is the best solution.

I originally had a 4 bulb t5 with ati bulbs and loved it! Colors on corals were crazy, but growth not so much. I switched to Chinese leds and started getting better growth and decent colors. Then about a month ago I bought 2 Kessil A360WE's and have noticed a lot of color loss in my sps, but I'm already noticing better growth.
I feel like there's a good reason some top of the line company's are starting to bring led-t5 hybrids into the market. Idk if I'd totally switch back though because with t5 only I didn't get great growth.

20140715_192014_zps5cdfa3ed.jpg

I have to agree with the hybrid setup. Best of 2 world's. I run 2 54w T5 and a Current Orbit Marine led over my 33 long

/I have went from Chinese LED, to MH (needed a chiller) now to ATI 48" 6 bulb fixture,,,,,doing wonders for my SPS and have not looked back. Sold the chiller and tank stays at 77/78 all the time. Will not go back to LED or MH in the forcible future

You will see the majority of the people that are doing sps prefer T5 over LED any milliseconds. (except in the LED trial period)

I noticed with the sol the light seemed very uneven and it seemed like the back side(not getting much light) of all my sps bleached slightly which didnt happen with my full spectrums or my t5 setup.

im thinking of doing a 6 bulb again with 4 blue plus specials, 1 purple plus and 1 pink plus. all ATI's

I've read many people saying the AI sol blues aren't powerful enough.
Imo kessil's do great with sps they just need to be close to the surface. I have my 2 A360WE at 5" off the waters surface. Sps is responding very well. Also low agitation on the surface so the shimmer isn't way to much.

I've read many people saying the AI sol blues aren't powerful enough.
Imo kessil's do great with sps they just need to be close to the surface. I have my 2 A360WE at 5" off the waters surface. Sps is responding very well. Also low agitation on the surface so the shimmer isn't way to much.

Mine are 4 to 5 inches off the water and I have 4 over my 62". What strength do you run yours? Because I have t5s I peak at 65 pct intensity. I have the older weaker ones. I think the new ones are 25 more watts?

I have a AI sol on my tank right now and i feel like it was a big disappointment compared to my old full spectrum chinese led light. When I had the chinese full spectrum I felt like it was a huge step down from my 6 bulb ati t5. So im thinking of switching back. I have been looking at the dimmable 6 and 8 ati 24" fixtures, what does everybody think.

BTW im mainly talking about colors of corals in this thread.

I don't blame you. I've had several LED fixtures with varied results. I bought two retail models and made a DIY one. I found that one model would make SPS grow like weeds and my LPS and Zoas would suffer. A different unit was just the opposite. I think it's "true" UV radiation that only MH and T5 give off instead of UV "color." No offense to those having success but I think about 50% of us are having varied success but don't want to admit "buyer remorse" because of the $$$ they've spent and they think they're being "green" by going LED and self justifying. I do not feel like being a guinea pig for these R&D types while they try to figure this out. I'm done for many years. Remember when no one believed you could keep SPS under T5 bulbs?

Last edited:
There's actually a few company's now's that are making a semi led which admits a true uv spectrum and I'm sure it's going to be the norm in reef fixtures soon enough. Idk how many light fixtures are already using them? But I do know the Orphek Atlantik V2.1 has them. I'm considering this light for my tank.

Ended up going with a 6 bulb ati sun power for a really low price. Got 3 blue+, 1 aquabluespecial, 1 Fiji purple, and 1 true actinic. What does everyone think about the bulb configuration. Happy to finally get away from LEDs.

Last edited:
Excellent! I have no experience with mixing T5 since I only use them as MH supplement. But please keep us updated.

There's actually a few company's now's that are making a semi led which admits a true uv spectrum and I'm sure it's going to be the norm in reef fixtures soon enough. Idk how many light fixtures are already using them? But I do know the Orphek Atlantik V2.1 has them. I'm considering this light for my tank.

Yes, but they are not emitting UVA and UVB radiation...that is the difference....they are just putting out some spectrum...which is still better, but not the full picture.

Back