Thinking of switching from high end LEDs to MH with T5

I have seen a difference so far with more intense lighting and all in the high 10s producing pretty good growth inconclusive still though but so far I'm happy

Well i ordered a mh t5 combo unit today. Stay tuned for color and growth!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, that I am prepared for. I run a 600 w high pressure sodium lamp for my orchids so I know the impact. Heat is my only real concern with the new light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also run T5'S with my Radions, but I have gen 3 pro's. Predominantly sps tank and I was already really happy with color and growth with just leds. Because of shadowing and a love of tinkering I added the T5's recently.
I think your brand of leds was the problem personally. But you really can't go wrong with MH if your not concerned with power consumption. Good luck and happy reefing :)

Like my Pacific Suns a lot. I am switching to more sps so I wanted to see if adding some t5s would help with speeding up the growth rate ( I am not having issues with color or anything of the like). I added a 2 bulb retro kit and I have noticed in increase in growth since that time. Just my opinion.

You will love it, I can almost see daily growth on my sps bases. My GARF is out of control in my 10K 400W MH, Just a hint of what I do, I swap 10k and 20K bulbs 1-2 months on and off. the 10K is for speedier growth and the 20k for look but you can see a major reduction in growth. 14-16k bulbs with the fixture you bought would give you the best of both.

>I have read a number of times that higher intensity lighting requires alk to be a bit closer to NSW. <

I'd be very cautious about this assumption. My tank has very intense MH lighting and it has been my experience over the years over many, many tanks that if you have intense lighting and alkalinity drops low for even a short period of time you can have some pretty fast die off. I generally keep my tanks at elevated alkalinity at all times as it gives you more of a buffer in case something goes wrong with your calcium reactor, etc.

++1 to that Greg I think an alk around 10 offers best results from what I have seen for almost all corals in tanks . I am currently running almost 11 in my 550 gallon system and everything seems to be responding well . Especially the Hot pink mili I got from you

If you do , go very very very slow , like 1 point over a week at a time . but if you have good results st that , leave it . Acans like it around that

and what I am doing may not be necessarily "correct " I only run it high because I goofed lol. but it doesn't seem to huirt anything and corals over maybe 1.5 months have almoist completely encrusted plugs . so I leave it there

++1 to that Greg I think an alk around 10 offers best results from what I have seen for almost all corals in tanks . I am currently running almost 11 in my 550 gallon system and everything seems to be responding well . Especially the Hot pink mili I got from you
10 alk is normally mid range not high. Keeping your alk high especially for Sps frags and stuff is normally 12-12.4 alk. I always try to shoot for a relitivly high alk in the 12's...
But if you keep your alk that high you also should to keep your cal and mag higher. Cal 450-470 and mag 1400-1450.
That's where I keep mine from what I've learned. I also keep mainly sps and have a lot of frags. Every tanks different :)

Back