Transporting live rock with encrusted corals / zoos

thomb

thomb
How would you suggest transporting live rock that has some encrusted SPS, zoos, etc? About a 45 min drive.
Thanks!

Submerge them in tank water in a bucket, keep you cars AC on

What I did:

I went to HD, bought 6 buckets, and filled them 1/4 with new water. Then I went to a guys house and picked up 150lbs of live rock with some corals on it. I borrowed some of his water to get the bucket to be 3/4 full, and made sure the corals were under the water.
I the tied all the buckets in my trunck so they wouldn't fall and drove home (1.5 hours with trafic on a hot summer day).

I mixed some of my old water because I didn't know if he would be able to fill 6 5gal buckets.

The rocks came with 50 snails, two brittle stars and covered in copepods. Everything lived.

I just had to move my tank and I ended up putting each rock in their own 5g bucket. One rock had a decent sized monti encrusted on the top, another a toadstool I didn't want to remove and another a softball sized frogspawn.

It was about a 30min drive with the buckets in a bed of a pickup truck and everything arrived perfectly fine. For the rock with a monti I ended up using a couple pieces of egg crate and a smaller rock to help stabilize it. I also tried to fill the buckets to the top with water in an attempt to prevent them from sloshing around too much while driving.

Best of luck!

as the others have stated, full buckets of water to minimize sloshing and try to keep the rocks from slamming in to eachother. Last move I was involved in, we used Styrofoam coolers. Boston to Providence, dead of winter.

Edit to say that the more water you have in a bucket or cooler, the harder it is to change the temp of said water.

Back