Transporting zoa frags

One of my suppliers sent me a colony of zoas, via 2 day shipping, and there was 0 water in the bag ... all zoas opened up within 4 hours of being put in the water ... so go figure :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

One of my suppliers sent me a colony of zoas, via 2 day shipping, and there was 0 water in the bag ... all zoas opened up within 4 hours of being put in the water ... so go figure :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Yes they did some test way back when and shipping just keeping the frags damp was less stressful than shipping in water. IIRC it was Anthony Calfo that did the testing.
Funny thing is the testing was probably 10 years ago and it is a largely unused technique good to see some are adopting it.

Mr. Saltwater tank just posted a video on a good way to transport frags

I just started watching his thread about two weeks ago.

I put all frags in plastic bags in a small cooler.

That's what I have done in the past.

Yes they did some test way back when and shipping just keeping the frags damp was less stressful than shipping in water. IIRC it was Anthony Calfo that did the testing.
Funny thing is the testing was probably 10 years ago and it is a largely unused technique good to see some are adopting it.

This is what I was wondering, I thought I read something about transporting zoa frags (and maybe some others) damp NOT submerged. It sounds easier than filling bags with water.

Whats the best/easiest way to transport zoa frags?

Transport them where?

I have thrown frags in a plastic cup in my car with a little bit of water, but I was just taking them to a person that lives a mile away.

Overnight shipping and a 30min car ride are not the same, but usually a bag with water works.

I wonder if zoanthids are ever exposed to low tide in the wild. I believe they are more of a deeper water coral but if not maybe that helps explain why transporting them out of water is not an issue...

in the past, ive done zoa trades with reefers from across the country. our method was a cheap thermos with a little water. then ship the thermos. worked well for zoas.

Back