ULTRA Maxima Clams Group Buy! + Inverts Group Buy!!

Depending on price might buy another. Mine is about to die. Unresponsive and won't open. Sad sad day :(. Your other coral I got from you is doing great

Oh man, that sucks ... any latest pictures you can send to me?

I will definitely give you a discount if you decide to get another one, but personally if I were you, I'd wait (in-case there's something in the tank or possibly a water issue) or try a less expensive specimen ... I know there are a few enthusiasts that have just not had good luck with clams at all, and I wouldn't want you shelling out close to $100 just to find that out the hard way :(

Also when you say un-responsive, can you describe what it's doing / not doing?

Thanks,

- Archit

I moved it once more back to sand and closed all the way up and stayed like that all day. One last ditch effort I moved it back to rock work and now to my surprise it's opening up and reacting to my shadow. I think I'm just paranoid and need to give it the two weeks. Just doesn't look very good in my opinion. I'll email you a pic

I moved it once more back to sand and closed all the way up and stayed like that all day. One last ditch effort I moved it back to rock work and now to my surprise it's opening up and reacting to my shadow. I think I'm just paranoid and need to give it the two weeks. Just doesn't look very good in my opinion. I'll email you a pic

Yes, definitely stop moving it around! Lol they need to feel safe before they'll start to open -- and if you keep moving him, he won't feel safe.

Also if you have any fish that keep swimming around where he is, he'll take a tad bit longer to open until he gets used to them.

Leave him on the rocks (where there is good light) and hope for the best :)

- Archit

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yeah I've noticed maximas sometimes don't like to fully open until they attach their footing first. Though I've personally never had luck keeping any clam happy on Rockford but then again that wasn't my own tank I've tried & the one clam I owned was already pinched and half dead when I got it so... Yeah lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Gotta leave it be like Archit said man. I always look at like this with any new specimen, if it's going to die because it's unhealthy it would do it within the first 48 hours. Reason I go by this idea is that corals/inverts/fish cannot handle stress well at all, it weakens and leads them prone to sickness. The most stressful time for a new specimen is right when you add it to the tank because they have to get use to your parameters (chemistry, lighting, flow, fish checking it out). By moving it around you are stressing it out more each time. Let it be!!! Lol. Obviously you have good intentions but let it do it's thing. I got mine the same day like I said before and mine is opening up more each day. Unless you see a pinched mantle, tissue loss, damaged foot, or it being unresponsive to shadows don't worry about it. Let nature do its thing. Lol.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382556269.045393.jpg I'm really happy with this one I got. I'll going get another one

I'm done touching it. I just was reading they like sand better than on rocks and another guy mentioned to burp it again. If it does die. Your right I should wait to get new clam. Just hope it makes it. I love the coloration of mine

I'm done touching it. I just was reading they like sand better than on rocks and another guy mentioned to burp it again. If it does die. Your right I should wait to get new clam. Just hope it makes it. I love the coloration of mine

Some people viciously fight over if they do better on the sand of rock work lol. I have always had them in sand and they do fine. I have a 6inch deresa clam and 3 inch deresa clam too that are also in the sand. When I worked at a LFS sometimes it would take a few weeks to open up. It will be fine, it lasted this long lol.

Clam take 6 month to die. You guys know that right ?

Clams can die sooner than 6 months. If you mean maxima clams only last 6 months in captivity then yes people do say that can happen. However I have seen many people keep maxima clams for years and years with no issues. Depends on tank stability. IMO the reason maxima clams have a higher mortality rate is that people try to keep small ones (under 3 inches). Small clams have a hard time adjusting to aquarium life. Personally, I would never buy a clam that is smaller than 3 inches specifically because of that.

IMG_1531 (239x320).jpg

Here is my new guy, doing fantastic! He responds when you just walk past the tank. My tomato clown kicks sand at him constantly because I placed him next to his frogspawn! I wish I had room for one more of these guys!

I had a clam die within 48 hours lol but it was tiny tiny. And then there's the handful of people I know with like 12"+ clams they've had over 5 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I picked up my clam from Archit on Sunday, it's still not fully opened yet either, but making steady daily progress. :) I have mine on crushed corals, and left it alone without moving it around. Maximas do take a bit longer to adapt to the new environment. I wouldn't be too worried, just let it settle itself in comfortably.
I also have a very active and mobile Dorasea clam for about 4 months now, grew from 2" to now almost 4". It opens nicely, but just refuses to stay put against the rock that I intended to have it attach to. It often moves itself towards the middle of crushed corals bed. I'm tempted every time to move it back because sometimes it appears to be in an awkward position, but have come to conclusion it is happier if I just let it be. I have learned from prior experiences that constant handling will stress the clam to death.

image.jpg
image.jpg

I'll be posting the pics and prices tonight.

Basically 2 clams are for $125 ea, 2 are for $150 ea, and 2 will be sitting with us until either they die, or we are sure they're healthy.

Thanks,

- Archit

Back