Worse Week Of My Life

It hurts but keep pushing

Roger, Everyone eventually has a meltdown in this hobby. (@ somepoint) It sucks but that is the risk we all take. This is why it is so important to spread your corals around the club. If you enjoy the hobby.....take a deep breath & start over.
I know what your feeling right now. I felt the same after my tank leaked a year & a half ago & I lost 80 % of my corals. (just about all my sps) I've been into salt for close to 16 years now. Start slow...Just think of one positive from this negative. If you had any part of your system that bothered you & you wanted to change it. Now is the time while the tank is empty!!!
(IE: pumps, skimmer setup, flow set up, lighting, aquascape ...etc etc etc.

Keep this in mind.... What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

B

Roger, that stinks! I have some of the frags i bought from you a while ago. When they are big enough to frag i can help you out........Steve

I hear you.

I reccently decided to give up on SPS and go with BTA's, softies, and zoa's.

I feel for the need to go SPS since they are sort of the top shelf corals, but IME I'm better going with the stuff I'm able to have long term success with. I would like to have perfect long term stability in my tanks but the reality is that even with all my gadgets (Direct RO/DI, Ca reactor, kalk top off, oversized skimmer exct....) I my tank still gets stressed over power outages and other issues I'm not able to control for.

Whatever the case, speaking for myself, I've spent countless dollars and hours getting my tank ready for a small group of SPS frags. I've done this a couple of times now and I'm successful for 6-12 months and then something goes wrong. All the while I have my other tank with Sinularia, sarcophyton Zoa's, and BTA/RBTA's, thriving with no maintence at all. I kill SPS, but I can't kill all that other stuff no matter how badly I neglect it. I totally ignore one tank and stress out about the other constantly. The one I ignore thrives and my center of attention is a PITA and doesn't thrive...

My experience is that keeping easier corals/fish/anemones/other inverts, can be way more rewarding than going for spectacular acros in the long term. If your capable of being maticulious abour your reefkeeping on the "greg hiller level" then go Acro, otherwise IME it might be more fun to keep slightly simpler stuff and have less headaches and disappointments

If your interested I'll give you a digi frag also...I've never got a frag from you but you definatly have my sympathy.

I never did get a chance to get that tri colr from you. :( I'm sure I could come up with a frag or two when you are up and running again.......

Back