Calcium Reactor Question

Mike Lemming

BRS Member
Hey guys,
In your opinions, when setting up a calcium reactor in a tank that doesn’t consume a ton of cal/alk, where should I start my ph in the reactor? BRS says 6.6 is a good number to shoot for but, other videos I see are pointing towards 8.
The tank is only consuming 15 ml’s of cal/alk a day. Not very much but, it’s time to either buy a dosing pump or setup the calcium reactor that I already have..
thanks for the help!
-Mike

Last edited:
Hey guys,
In your opinions, when setting up a calcium reactor in a tank that doesn’t consume a ton of cal/alk, where should I start my ph in the reactor? BRS says 6.6 is a good number to shoot for but, other videos I see are pointing towards 8.
The tank is only consuming 15 ml’s of cal/alk a day. Not very much but, it’s time to either buy a dosing pump or setup the calcium reactor that I already have..
thanks for the help!
-Mike
I started with range goal between 7.1 and 6.8, pegged the ph and checked alk daily until stable (took me about a week though I only use a needle valve to adjust it) Currently running at 6.9 and alk rock solid. Good luck, no piece of equipment has brought more stability to my tank once dialed in

I started with range goal between 7.1 and 6.8, pegged the ph and checked alk daily until stable (took me about a week though I only use a needle valve to adjust it) Currently running at 6.9 and alk rock solid. Good luck, no piece of equipment has brought more stability to my tank once dialed in
I appreciate the feedback! Stability is what I’m looking for!

When does one know when it’s time for a reactor ? I don’t use much alk but the stability is ehh usually 8.6-8.8 swing during the day
All depends on when you want to bring one online. I was dosing almost 250ml's of two part daily and figured why not go back to a carx. Basically set it and forget it really once you dial it in.

When does one know when it’s time for a reactor ? I don’t use much alk but the stability is ehh usually 8.6-8.8 swing during the day
I’m setting my calcium reactor back up one, becuase I already have a full reactor setup and two, I don’t care to dose by hand anymore. I really don’t care to buy a doser if I already have the reactor.. dosers are much cheaper initially and to run monthly until you dose a ton of cal/alk like @BiGGiePauls33 . Then a reactor is much more economical.

I guess the real answer is....... it depends on several factors. The flow rate is also important because a very low flow rate at a pH of 6.6 won't do as much as a higher flow rate and a pH of 6.8.....

Thanks Pres. I think I'll try 7.2-7.5 to start and take it from there!
what is your calcium reactor set up like. are you using ph monitor and what kind of regulator? I ran mine with geos reactor with carbon doser regulator and tlf media and i start with 7.5 steady stream using a versa doser and my kh been consistent with 8.5-8.9dkh. if my dkh drop out of range i lower the ph down to 7.4 and keep dropping down 0.1ph if it cant keep up consumption. this method you dont have to tune in your bubble count and effluent much. Im doing this method because my ph is already low in the 7.7-7.9 range so if i run my reactor at 6.5ph it would lower my tank ph so for now its doing good so far and im waiting a kalkwasser reactor to come to boost up the ph a little and then tune in my calrx again.

Last edited:
In addition to starting with a higher pH in the reactor, you can start with a lower effluent drip rate (calculate based on ml/min using a known container like a conical tube or measuring cup medicine doser ect. The other thing that can be done if we get your apex working is use the timer to only have it run during certain times of the day (just shut off the CO2 outlet with the apex based on time after the pH set point). Really just need to set it up and have it running for a few days while measuring alk in your tank then it is just measuring to dial in from there.

I guess the real answer is....... it depends on several factors. The flow rate is also important because a very low flow rate at a pH of 6.6 won't do as much as a higher flow rate and a pH of 6.8.....
I’ll be controlling the flow with the Kamoer pump so I can go as slow or as fast as necessary

In addition to starting with a higher pH in the reactor, you can start with a lower effluent drip rate (calculate based on ml/min using a known container like a conical tube or measuring cup medicine doser ect. The other thing that can be done if we get your apex working is use the timer to only have it run during certain times of the day (just shut off the CO2 outlet with the apex based on time after the pH set point). Really just need to set it up and have it running for a few days while measuring alk in your tank then it is just measuring to dial in from there.
Thanks Mike. Need to get this Apex going and then you can help me work on the rest. Lol. I will be dripping with the Kamoer pump..

what is your calcium reactor set up like. are you using ph monitor and what kind of regulator? I ran mine with geos reactor with carbon doser regulator and tlf media and i start with 7.5 steady stream using a versa doser and my kh been consistent with 8.5-8.9dkh. if my dkh drop out of range i lower the ph down to 7.4 and keep dropping down 0.1ph if it cant keep up consumption. this method you dont have to tune in your bubble count and effluent much. Im doing this method because my ph is already low in the 7.7-7.9 range so if i run my reactor at 6.5ph it would lower my tank ph so for now its doing good so far and im waiting a kalkwasser reactor to come to boost up the ph a little and then tune in my calrx again.
My full setup is a Skims CM122 running reborn. Controlling through an apex (although I’m having issues getting it to connect after over a year of not plugging it in). Kamoer pump for drip rate and a lower end $100 regulator that I believe is intended for freshwater co2 dosing.

My full setup is a Skims CM122 running reborn. Controlling through an apex (although I’m having issues getting it to connect after over a year of not plugging it in). Kamoer pump for drip rate and a lower end $100 regulator that I believe is intended for freshwater co2 dosing.
Sell that apex and buy GHL, never an issue.

Back