check out RC TOTM - economical to run

I'm with everyone on this also. The tank is amazing but it would be really nice to see a smaller sized tank and realistically affordable to the "common person" as the TOTM.

I have a couple of comments:

1. I know Stan, he is a great guy. Last winter one of the members of his local reef club had his house burn to the ground. Stan came in, cleaned up the rubble and hauled it away for him. Regardless of whether he is a millionaire or not, if someone has the money to build a tank like this and show it off, why not?

2. I have seen the tank in person, and the pictures do not do it justice. :)

I have a couple of comments:

1. I know Stan, he is a great guy. Last winter one of the members of his local reef club had his house burn to the ground. Stan came in, cleaned up the rubble and hauled it away for him. Regardless of whether he is a millionaire or not, if someone has the money to build a tank like this and show it off, why not?

2. I have seen the tank in person, and the pictures do not do it justice. :)

I don't think anyone is saying he isn't a nice guy. I'm just saying that he may not live in the reality the rest of us do.

"If I want to reuse some of the heat generated by the lights and/or aquarium for the rest of the house, I can turn on a ventilation fan that pumps this hot and humid air into my home's main living room."

I'll probably need a new furnace in the next several years. I wonder if the wife would buy that an enormous reef tank will not only provide hours of enjoyment, but heat for the home as well?

"If I want to reuse some of the heat generated by the lights and/or aquarium for the rest of the house, I can turn on a ventilation fan that pumps this hot and humid air into my home's main living room."

I'll probably need a new furnace in the next several years. I wonder if the wife would buy that an enormous reef tank will not only provide hours of enjoyment, but heat for the home as well?

That's not funny - our electric bill doubled (although only 60% or so of it was from increased use - the rest was from increase in the electricity cost!) from November to December due to the increased cost of heating all the tanks! We are heating our house with fishtanks!

ReefCentral should nominate a public aquarium for TOTM next time.

That's not funny - our electric bill doubled (although only 60% or so of it was from increased use - the rest was from increase in the electricity cost!) from November to December due to the increased cost of heating all the tanks! We are heating our house with fishtanks!

You may be onto something... two birds with one stone. How many tanks do you heat your home with? Do you have an endless supply of squeegees on hand for when you want to wipe the condensation away from the glass to look in on the fish and corals from time to time?

It would be nice if RC featured a tank that was elegantly simple. To me, most of their TOTM setups seems like advertisments for reef equipment manufacturers. I wish that people with that much disposable income would choose to spend less on their tank and donate to the Nature Conservancy or other groups dedicated to coral reef conservation. Really, how can you justify spending that much money on electricity alone when real reefs are under severe threat of extinction. Just my own $0.02.

A good portion of the heat in my home is generated from the lighting in my tank....I have over 1800watts on full bore on a 155 bow...... The only problem is one room very far away from the tank is a little cooler cause I only have one zone & the thermostat is closer to the tank!!!
B

I'm scared to ask, but I really want to know... How much does a skimmer like that cost?

Thats the Volcano made by Spazz. does alot with the big reef tanks on RC, is pricey but excellent reviews. If I'm not mistaken its $4,500. The shorty, same concept was $2,400 +/-. I ended up with the Oca 250, $1,400. Exact same dart needle wheel for the pump.

They should start having category TOTM, since many of these guys are definately out there. But like here, its pretty much all volunteer and they never miss a beat.

Back