Check out the TOTM on Reef Central

That tank is beautiful, and I especially like how he integrated it into the room. I agree though with the comment about the RC TOTMs missing out with the softies. I think there are logical reasons for this. The sps colors have an amazing wow factor that really come across in the photography. The beauty of the colors and the variety of shapes is hard to match anywhere in nature. But I think the story is different if you look at a tank in person.
Soft corals add movement to the tank that isn't apparent when you look at a photograph. If you see a tank in person instead of looking at a photograph, the visual benifit of the softies becomes very apparent. In person, it's not just the colors in the tank that mesmerizes you. It's the movement. If you read the article, the owner says that's why he has so many fish. He wanted to add some movement to the stillness of the sps dominated tank. Remember also that a mixed reef is harder to keep. Very few of the TOTM's on RC are mixed reefs. If you have both amazing sps and healthy softies, you really have accomplished something.

That tank was meticulously designed from the start. His entire maintenance program is designed to get the results he gets. He has his flow such that the fish poo piles in a corner to be siphoned out. The guy was extremely purposeful. Me -- I call my tank an organically developing tank! Otherwise known as the "try this" style of reefing. But like my husband says -- this is my practice tank!

It looks like a really low nutrient tank based on the awesome colors,

"I have decided not to include any snails, mainly because they would increase the system's bio-load"

I didn't know that snails posed such a large bio-load :rolleyes: but i guess every bit counts.

Yeah, kindof silly to exclude snails for "bioload" but add 41 fish.. hehe. To each his own, it's obviously working for him.

Back