i need help deciding on fish for a 55

paul.k

Non-member
does anney one know anney fish that would do really good in a 55 gallon tank and get a long with my clown fish and possible be reef safe. one of my biggest questions is i put a post about this yesterday and didn't get much response im wondering a a yellow tang would do in my 55 gallon tank and how long would it take for him to out grow teh tank if i got him as a juvenile. i am so confused please help me the yellow tang is one of teh fish that lured me in to the hobby and its kind of sad to hear i cant get him. ya a norther thought fish i like dwarf bass, gobbys, jaw fish, grandmas are they good fish to keep.

Gobies are a good choice.
Like OceanGuy said in your other thread, avoid the yellow tang. In fact, avoid any fish for the next 2 months. Let your tank cycle and settle. Then 2 months later start getting into fish.

ya i was just trying to get my fish list set up and know what fish will work with what fish so i have a good balance.

maybe when i get my 75 ill get a yellow tang it will give me something to look forward to upgrading but not for a wile

while i added the bio spyra if that helps and i want to get a piece of starter coral with a couple of polyps when i get my salinity higher for teh coral skiptons sells the corals for i think a dollar a plop so ill get a small one maybe 5 plops.

Paul, I think you may not have gotten a lot of responses because most who read it probably agreed with OceanGuy (Tom) on the Yellow Tang, as Moe just stated.

They do start off small but get big pretty rapidly, we've had our Yellow Tang for probably about 7 months and he's pretty big now. I think maybe the problem is that a lot of people plan on trading or selling a fish when he gets too big to comfortably be in the tank, but then don't always do so when they should, causing the large fish to be unhappy, cramped, stressed and possibly end up dying. Also, the longer you have a fish, the more attached you become to him (we do, anyway) making it tougher to give in and find him a new home.

We've had a gramma for a while. Beautiful, hardy fish. Pretty territorial of her area. Jawfish are very interesting but you do need a deep sand bed for them, probably at least 5", I would say. I don't have a pair of them (yet, I hope), but I hear they are very interesting to watch together. Yes, gobies are great fish too.

Good luck,
Gina

I just read your post about the 75. There you go, that might be much better for a YT.

Oh, definately wait to let your tank cycle!! I know it's so tough but you've got to do it, otherwise everything could just die. Believe me, I had a tough time with the waiting, luckily David was here to hold me back.

Last edited:
thanks i like teh jaw fish but i dint think i want to go for teh 5 inch sand bed. i just don't like that algae that grows in the sand with tanks with deep sand beds. i mean the problem with trying to find information from on line web sites is there all different. one will say the fish will only need a 50 gallon and one will say teh fish needs a 75. i can just add a lot of smaller fish instead would a dwarf sea bass do good in my tank. i kind of like them. i think i might pick up the encyclopedia for reef fish the next time i go to Skipton's. ya and i know what u mean by getting attached Ive had my clown fish for less than 2 weeks and im already starting to get attached. do u recommend anney other books.

o if people agree with other people they wont say anney thing i just figured i didn't get anney responses because people just didn't look at it.

The 2 books that we have found the most useful thus far are the following:

Marine Invertebrates by Ronald L. Shimek
and
Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael

They are both pocket guides and very easy to follow. Great for beginners and still useful later as reference guides.

As a matter of fact, many of the fish stores that we've gone into carry them for sale and have copies of their own for customers to look at when picking out items.

Last edited:
o if people agree with other people they wont say anney thing i just figured i didn't get anney responses because people just didn't look at it.

Sometimes people do post and let you know that they agree with another member but sometimes they may think that someone else's post said it all and may have nothing to add themselves. You can actually see how many people have looked at your thread.

Last edited:
o i just like to have a second or third opinion just so i know what im doing is 100% right because what it sounds like a small mistake can be catastrophic.

the two books u mentioned are they the small thick ones that name like every fish known to man.

Last edited:
o i just like to have a second or third opinion just so i know what im doing is 100% right because what it sounds like a small mistake can be catastrophic.

You are absolutely right, good to have several opinions and ideas.

Also, sometimes it's not that one person is wrong and another is right, it may just be that they have had or heard of different experiences with the same thing. You will find however, that most members usually agree on some of the really important situations or problems that come up. An example is making sure you give your tank enough time to cycle before adding fish.

-Gina

how long would u say i have two clown fish in it now im cheching the levels constantly i added bio spyra which supposable speeds it up to a couple of days.

ya i saw the same book at Skipton's for 25 i think ill get that one it has like reef capability charts with every fish which tells u if thale eat coral or inverts or become fin nippers.

what about dwarf angles like the one duds has for his pic i saw one in Skipton's and i really like it.

how long would u say i have two clown fish in it now im cheching the levels constantly i added bio spyra which supposable speeds it up to a couple of days.

1. How long has your tank been running?

2. Do you have live rock in the tank? If so how long has it been in there?

3. What levels exactly are you monitoring, and what are you getting for readings?

4. How long have the clowns been in the tank, and how big are they? Do you know what type of clowns they are?

5. You mentioned salinity, what is your salinity reading and what are you using to measure it?

Here are a few questions that might help us better help you. :) The answers to these questions will give us a better idea of what our answers should be. The first step in getting directions to somewhere you want to go, is to know where you are.

-Dave and Gina

my tank has be runnig for 14 days.
yes i have live rock i have about say 4 round and a lot of dead rock.
im motring every thing every thing is normal amonia is between 0 and .25 the next one up.
the colwn have ben it that tank 10 days thare about a inch or more each.
its reading in the safe zone on they hydromiter 1.022-1.023 im trying to rase it so i can get corals.

Back