I need help deciding

reefstarter

Non-member
I am going to be changing my lights soon . The heat from the halides in a small room and under a canopy will just be too much. Besides that i think I can do better with t5's . so here is my problem . Trying to choose a fixture ......60 inch

here are my choices pros and cons

ATI sunpower 8 bulb , pro , great light output build quality , con in-abilityto select from either 2 bulbs on or 6 on .

giesemann matrix II . pro- ability to select 2 bulbs at a time , great quality light bluetooth controlled . Con , Not sure of light output and price

My third choice is the Pac Sun duiana . Pro good build quality Bluetooth . con light output

I have seen Par readings on the pac sun but it was placed almost 2 feet above the water . I have looked at the Led hybrids and I am not impressed really Par readings seem similar to an all T5 unit. sure you get ramping up and down moonlight cycle etc But in the end its about the right light for the tank . And that means par readings from about 400 ( being on the high side ) down to around 200 or a little less at the sand I would like opinions and experiences with any of these lights as well as suggestions towards other fixtures you may have had experience with .

Thanks and happy reefing

No question t-5s can make your corals happy but I'm not sure you will like the look after having MH. I had a six tube fixture with ATI bulbs prior to my Kessil/T5 setup I did not like the look of it at all its more of a floodlight look as opposed to point source you have now. For a nice natural look rethink the hybrids again. You asked for opinions .....:).

Jim

It is all about the t-5 bulbs.
All three fixture have good reflectors.
As of LED supplement, it is cheaper to just add a couple of small programmable LED such as AI prime. You get the shimmer too.

As far as PAR reading on t-5, you can use more day light bulbs get high par but your coral is going to look like ...hmmm...Mr. Hanki

Back