Votes: 16 34.0%
  • 125 Gallon

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • 156 Gallon

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters

smcnally

Tankless
I'm upgrading form my 75 gal and was wondering what you all would prefer of these three tanks. What's the pros and cons?
120 Gal (48x24x24)
125 Gal (72x18x22)
156 Gal (60.5x24.5x25)
I really like the 156, but don't know if the funds will support it yet. So I guess the toss up is mainly between the 120 and 125. I definitely want reef ready this time too.

I really like my 120. 4 ft tanks are easy to find lights for. You can always consider doing it room divider style like mine. then you baisicly get two and a half times the viewing area for your buck. It would be nice to have a longer tank for the swimmier fish, but one more foot isn't going to make that much difference.

No 2 sided view gong on in my place...two words "Small-Condo" :D I've been leaning towards the 120 because I figured I could light it up with two 250W MH and still get nice coverage. Dammit man...I dunno what I want!

Steve,
go to the supermarket and ask for their largest cardboard boxes....tape them up to the size of the tank you are considering and place it where you would put the new tank. See if it looks right.....

That's exactly what I did to determine the size of my new tank. Turned out 84 x 31 x 24.

Get the largest tank you can fit and afford.

I was in a similar dilemma - 18" is definitely too narrow but wanted length as well.

Then check with aquariumsforyou.com and have it made to your specs. Prices are not that much different and John Stevenson is great to work with.

Good Luck.

any thoughts on a 150? 48 x 24 x 30?

keep in mind, length is going to increase your operating costs as well as your equipment requirements.

I think you'd be fine lighting a 5 foot tank with 2 MHs.

Anyways, 24" deep (f to b) tanks are sweet. I can't see (other than the tank itself) the 156 being much more expensive to set up than the 125. Its only so expensive to upgrade because you have to buy new equipment. Go big to start.... do it right at the beginning, and you wont have to do it again.

get a cylindrical tank

Attachments

• 190HawkesReef-med.jpg
    190HawkesReef-med.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 224
I prefer the feeling of depth (front to back) in more squarish tanks like the 120 vs the 125 - the fish look more like their swimming all around than just left/right. And you can do more interesting aquascaping.

I would go with the 156 - you get a little mort tank width, you get depth, and you get more height. I would think the 120 wouldn't end up feeling that much bigger than your 75 after a while, and then you will start to itch again ...

The 125 is too long but not tall enough. If want the 6 ' tank, go with a 150 on the same footprint as the 125 :)

Or 180, or 210 :D

Man i want a bigger tank

so you know I have NO problems lighting my 5ft. tank with a standard 4ft. fixture (2x250HQIs+2xActinics T5's). so the 156 is definitely the way to go (for reasons Nate mentioned)

I would go with a longer tank if you want fish that like to swim (Tangs and Triggers). If you want smaller fish that kind of "hang out", then length isn't a determining factor (only for looks). Personally, I would go with the longer tank.

Back