i need help deciding on fish for a 55

ya Skipton's said teh bass would eat anney of teh shrimp i have but i just thought he looked really cool and would rather have him than shrimp

Cycling

In one of my previous posts, I suggested adding one uncooked, raw, shrimp to the sand bed. This costs very liitle...a few cents at the supermarket and is much better to start the cycling than fish that you pay a bit more.

I would not add any more fish until maybe Halloween. That way the tank will be fully cycled and you will not have any fish deaths.

I know it is hard to wait. We all have experienced this and know from experience that it is better to wait. Be patient and you will have a better tank in the end.

Save your money now. You will need to buy things later. Read things online.
Keep a small notebook, like a composition notebook.

Keep a chart with the date and the results of your water tests.
Also keep a list of the things that you add, their cost and if livestock or coral, what they need in terms of light, food, water flow in order to be healthy.

I don't buy some corals for instance, because they require more light than I have or because they are not compatible with other things I have in the tank.
I don't buy aggressive fish. I want my other fish to be peaceful and not get harassed or eaten. I write everything down in my journal. Then, if something happens, something dies, etc. I can look back in my journal and see if I can see what caused it. You will look back on it to remember the names of corals or fish or what they need.

ya i know i used the fish to cycle the tank but im not adding anny other fish for a wile

Last edited:
ya i have a small not book with the stuff i added i think i would be able to wight to Halloween before adding anney thing else it is just cool to watch teh clown fish and that is good enough for me for now.

The venomous stuff

Some fish have venomous spines, the sea urchin has needles some kinds have venom as does the volitan lionfish. Some of those fish are really nice to look at. They eat smaller fish usually and the sting gives different reactions to different people. Some are like bee or wasp stings, but like people who are allergic to bees and stop breathing, some stings from venomous fish also cause severe reactions in some people.

What kind of shop class do you take? Do you go to school in Dedham?

You still haven't told me what school in Newton your mother is a nurse at.
I may know her as I've been teaching in Newton for 36 years. I've even had some now famous students. Matt LeBlanc from "friends" was a student of mine and B.J. Novak one of the actors and writers on "The Office"" was a student of mine. He just won an Emmy this week for the best Comedy. It was neat to see him on stage.

ya venomous i figured i would avoid teh tiger fish because Anny thing that can happen will happen idk how that goes but i would get stung just like i get burnt all teh time in shop

Last edited:
she works at Cabot school i was just there with her i had to go with her to work in order for her to take me to waltham teh get the ro i dint go to dedham i go to blue hills and i take hvac & r it is heating ventilation air conducting and refrigeration its allot electrical and pluming

Great School

Blue Hills is a great school. Some kids from Westwood also go there.

If you're in Newton with her again and want to stop by F.A. Day Middle School to see my tank, I would be happy to have you both stop by. I'll be there Thurs afternoon, most of Friday and next tues and Wed. all day. I'm on the first floor. Go in under the mural and my room is 101. There is a license plate BARNER over the door. That is my last name. I may be in meetings on TUes and Wed, but the door will be open even if I'm not there. IT would be good to meet you both.

she works at Cabot school i was just there with her i had to go with her to work in order for her to take me to waltham teh get the ro i dint go to dedham i go to blue hills and i take hvac & r it is heating ventilation air conducting and refrigeration its allot electrical and pluming

ya i would love to do that but i have to go to golf all this week for the school i mean maybe i can work something out.

Back