Lurker Who Now Has a Reef Tank!

The Klev

Non-member
Hi friends:

I've lurked for a while, but a few months ago a friend gave us a 70 gal Oceanic reef ready tank. After saving many many shekels and considering donating some body parts, we took the plunge and set up our tank.

As of now we have dead and live rock, a handful of green chromis and a pair of Ocellaris Clowns, and (hopefully) soon will be ready to take our leap of faith with some corals and fish.

Would love some advice on corals, and am hoping to meet up on the 27th (not yet certain of our family plans as we may be away) to perhaps pick up some frags and advice from you all.

I'm attaching a pic of our new babies.

Thanks for keeping me so interested this past year!

Alan K
Newton, MA

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 428
Welcome to the insanity :p :D

That is a very nice tank, looking forward to seeing updates.

Be great to see you the 27th if you can make it :)

Welcome, its always good to see that we influence a "lurker" to take the plunge.

:w to BRS! The bug is hard to avoid...hope to see you at the upcoming meeting, they are always a good time. Good luck on your new tank and keep updating us with pics!:)

Thanks all!

Obsessed to a fault. Water checked out fine, and we're 2 weeks out, so I bought a few cleaner shrimp and a beautiful little Hippo Tang. Also a small Green Star Polyp. Oh, yeah, and a T5 4 lamp system.

So now I will wait a few weeks to A) see how the kids are doing in the tank, and B) try to fight my way out of filing for Chapter 11 thanks to this obsession. While I'm doing so, I would love your opinions on corals and such that even someone like me couldn't kill.

Hopefully tomorrow I will post a pic of the tank so you can see the layout (I set up 2 neat rock formations in such a way that I have 2 nice "shelves" of live rock about 4" from the surface.

Thanks again for the kind welcome!

Alan K
Newton, MA

Welcome to the insanity!

If your tank has only been up for 2 weeks I would strongly recommend slowing down. Nothing good happens quickly. I apologize if I miss read your last post. Either way, happy reefing.

:w

Welcome to the insanity!

If your tank has only been up for 2 weeks I would strongly recommend slowing down. Nothing good happens quickly. I apologize if I miss read your last post. Either way, happy reefing.

:w

Absolutely agreed. Nothing more goes in for a while. The store gave me a handful of snails and small hermits, so there's enough to keep me occupied. I honestly never asked why the group of chromis but they're all happy and darting around.

For the next several weeks I will read up, read up, then read some more as slowing down is the smart route.

Thanks!

Adding to my disease is my clear lack of knowledge of making my photos smaller.

Here are 2 and I will learn how to minimize them...

Attachments

• DSC_0133.jpg
    DSC_0133.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC_0140.jpg
    DSC_0140.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 341
I should also have said that, for you more experienced reefers, I am completely open to suggestions about rock placement, fish choice, etc...as I am completely open to suggestions, comments and critiques from you all!

Thanks!

did you buy green star polyp? look around the post first. i love to see lfs get some bis but that stuff is everywhere for free. good luck with your new addiction. and it look good

I did get that for free and nice eye!

I am hoping that, with patience and perserverence, I will in the future be able to supply frags to those who will be "newbies" when I get more experienced.

Thanks,

Alan

Back