Lurker Who Now Has a Reef Tank!

Welcome!! I'm new here too - and can tell you it is very addictive. I hope to see you at some of the meetings!

Hi friends:

Back with some new photos. AS you can see, we're taking it slow. Added a cleaner shrimp and a yellow tang as well as a soft coral to the mix. Keeping fingers crossed, so far so good. Thanks for all your advice!

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 282
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 284
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 277
Goodness:

Sorry for the size. Hope these are easier to look at. Thanks!

Alan

Attachments

• Clown and Tang.jpg
    Clown and Tang.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 261
  • Shrimp and Coral.jpg
    Shrimp and Coral.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 255
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 281
Looking good. Just be sure to not overstock it.

It might just be me, or the lighting, but that yellow tang looks a bit pale to me. Did the lights just come on?

Rob:

That is the result of a camera and a flash being too close to the tang. It is a beautiful yellow, happy as can be and ripping away at every algae sheet and seaweed sheet it gets.

I thank you for your comments on the overstocking and I'm essentially done for the moment save for a blue spotted jawfish I hope to introduce in a few weeks.

Really hoping to build the reef up in a bit because that is my true intention for the tank.

But, man, it's been a blast so far!

Best,

Alan

I probably missed this. What lights are you using

Can't find the material right now but it's a high output T5 flourescent 4 lamp system. 2 sun waves, and 2 blue waves.

Hope that answers your question. Don't have the saltwater slang down just yet.

Lookin good so far. Watch out for that Anthelia, it spreads quickly and will take over.

Thanks for the tip. At this point, I just hope it lives!

I have a green star polyp way down below as well which is just coming back from the dead, so I'm going to keep things quiet for a bit and then probably bug you all for advice on potential corals. Is it true what I've been reading about zoas being territorial and that they tend to proliferate quite a bit? I really like them.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Looks like a very nice tank in the making

Thanks. I appreciate it. Rather than setting something up and tossing things in, I'm trying to take my time, read up on things, and introduce things slowly. I also have 4 kids under 12 and am educating them on this stuff so they a) get interested, and b) stay interested.

Happy day today, all!

Early this morning a present arrived - my very own blue spotted jawfish. I've been wanting one for some time and he's seeming pretty happy. He's spent all day burrowing a hole under some live rock and now he has a neat little tunnel from front to back, with a nice sheel guarding his front door.

Here's the little devil in all his glory!

Attachments

• Blue Spotted Jawfish.jpg
    Blue Spotted Jawfish.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 237
Also got a nice sailfin tang and beautiful zoo.

I'm thankful to this site for all the tips, tricks, advice and such, and thankful to member Brad S. who has been instrumental in getting me into this. Now if only I can concentrate on work to pay for all this...

Attachments

• Sailfin Tang.JPG
    Sailfin Tang.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 217
  • Zoanthus.JPG
    Zoanthus.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 216
Keep an eye out for the tangs. 3 tangs are alot for a 70 IMO. Especially a sailfin as they get bigger then the Yellow tang and hippo. Tangs like alot of swimming room. They should be ok small but if they get big, then you might need to find a bigger tank for them.

looking good so far though. Nice to see the Enthusiasm. :.

Thank you -

I actually "adopted" the sailfin and, at some point, may go back to its owner. I am concerned as well about the tangs but the options were limited so I decided to house it for the time being.

Back