Red bugs

found this might help

Treatment
Several methods of treatment - from introducing natural predators to medications - have been tested with various levels of success.

Dragonface Pipefish
Introduce Dragonface Pipefish (Corythoichthys haematopterus) to the quarantine or display aquarium. Once the fish are settled in and adjusted to the aquarium conditions, the small pipefish will anchor themselves on the branches of Acropora and begin to feed on tiny crustaceans as well as red bugs.

Seachem Reef DipDip the Acropora into a concentrated iodine and aquarium water mixture for approximately 15 minutes using a clean plastic container. Lugol's solution is the preferred iodine base for this procedure, along with other commercially available coral dips, such as Reef Dip by SeaChem.

Interceptor is a Prescription product only available through a VeterinarianThe last method, developed by Dustin Dorton at ORA, involves treating the aquarium or quarantine aquarium with Milbemycin oxime. This chemical is the active ingredient in Interceptor, a de-worming medication for dogs only available by prescription from a Veterinarian. This medication has been found to directly attack crustaceans, and is the most invasive and risky treatment mentioned thus far because it does not discriminate between pests and other inhabitants like shrimp, amphipods, copepods, and crabs. Since this treatment may cause all crustaceans in your system to perish, it is important to either remove and treat the infected colonies in a separate aquarium, or to remove the crustaceans that you wish to save to a different holding aquarium. Exact guidelines for the dosages and treatment regime are still in the testing phase, yielding positive results, but the long-term ramifications of this new treatment are still not known.

Interceptor is the only in tank treatment I've heard of. I treated once many years ago with no bad effects. Although they did stop production for awhile, it is now available again.

Interceptor parasite preventive returning to market
New owner Elanco cites popular demand
http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=35393

If you can't get interceptor I've heard of some people using this-

Dr.G's SPS & LPS Coral Dip Solution
http://www.drgsmarineaquaculture.com/sps-lps-coral-dip-solution.cfm

It has the same ingredient as interceptor, Milbemcyn oxime.

Last edited:
Interceptor should be available. Since its from F&S, you should call them and make sure you tell them it's for reef tank treatment. They should know a thing or two about reef tank. The active ingredient itself is reef-safe(except for the crustaceans) but it's the other stuff they put(flavor) so that the dog would eat it is not always safe.
http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1461

Red bugs are the easiest to get rid of with interceptor. You will lose all your crustaceans so make sure you take out that shrimp or crab you really like.
Don't sweat it, red bugs are very easy to treat. But if left unattended, it can adversely effect the health of your hard corals.

Way back I looked online and ended up finding an easy way to order interceptor from another country with no questions asked. I don't think it was actually illegal in any way, but was probably a "grey area" kind of thing. I won't disclose the country, but I will say it was down under other countries on the map :)

Back