Schooling fish

I got it in on one of my orders a few weeks ago and I thought it was dead because I never saw it after adding it but now it is always in the open and is a very active fish....maybe I will add a bunch more :)

Here is a pic of mine, I have had it about 3 weeks or so

Attachments

• bass.jpg
    bass.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 152
My choice was chromises for my 220g. I stopped at 5 when they (well maybe 1-2) started nippping constantly on certain sps's. I do like those chalk basses. I didn't know they school.

I had a chalk bass until this morning. I was adjusting my pillow and felt something odd and then I got a sharp prick in my thumb which woke me right up. It was my poor chalk bass all dried out, and I had grabbed a spine. He jumped a good four or five feet to land next to me in my bed. That was a pretty horrible way to wake up. I had gone to the Celtics game last night and then went to see a band, so I had a few beers last night. I felt bad because I'm sure I would otherwise have heard him and been able to rescue him.

Anyway, the chalk bass was a really cool fish. Mine looked pretty much exactly like Ray's picture. You can't see it there, but they have really neat irridescent green in the right lighting. Mine was peaceful, in that he was never the aggressor, but he did defend himself if hassled. He had some Ich for a few days after I got him, but my cleaner shrimp was all over and in him for those few days and cleaned him right up. It was really cool to watch, because the chalk bass would open his huge mouth wide and flare his gills and the shrimp would climb right in. The shrimp would also climb or swim right onto the back of the chalk bass and sometimes get a bit of a ride while cleaning him.

Anyway, I only had one, so I have no idea whether they school. But mine was very nice to look at and swam around in the open a lot. They are bass though, and you can see from the size of the head and mouth that they eat lots. Mine would eat things nearly as big as its head if given the chance.

--cn

So you went out and had a few beers and woke up in bed with your fish.....better then some of the things I have woken up with after a few beers ;)

Kidding aside sorry to hear about your bass

;) Yeah, I guess it could have been worse. Still it scared the crap out of me and I jumped up and screamed. All I could think of were scenes from Godfather films. I guess I was sleeping with the fishes last night.

But yeah, I'm definitely going to miss this guy, he was a very cool fish. I just wish he'd decided to jump on a night when I wasn't out of it like that.

Anyway, thanks Ray, and best of luck with yours!

--cn

Back