Schooling fish

"Very enjoyable fish. Will swim in schools provided with enough tank space. Be sure to feed healthy frozen foods such as blood worms and marine sponges. Keep watch too, as more aggressive fish tend to nip at the long fin. Not reef safe.

Contributed by (no name given)
Also known as the Wimplefish, Pennantfish, or Coachman (Heniochus acuminatus). It gets up to 23 cm long and originates from the Indo-Pacific, or Red Sea. They are moderately difficult to keep, and have no visible sexing difference. They enjoy live and chopped green foods.

Contributed by (no name given)
I just thought it was interesting that the Longfin Bannerfish is sometimes referred to as "The Poor Man's Idol" because it looks similar to the Moorish Idol, but is much easier to keep and less expensive.

"

Scott M. mentioned these at his talk at LIRA

Nate Aquaddicts has been getting the assessors in pretty often lately. Both blue and yellow....they have 3 less yellows after I left today :D

hmm. You'd think I'd notice stuff like that having been there three times this week! :) Oh well, I'll have to keep my eyes out for them.

Casey,
What're those quotes referring to? They say it's not reef safe, but they also say the latin name is H. acuminatus. That's the nearly identical Longfin Bannerfish. According to Michaels book the Schooling Bannerfish is reef safe (H. diphreutes).

2 different fish...almost identical in appearance. I've seen people post on the boards about buying the wrong ones and having some problems

Heniochus diphreutes (schooling bannerfish) is the reef safe version. The Heniochus acuminatus(longfin bannerfish) is the bad guy. I think it's a differance in one of the black bands that gives a pretty easy ID.

I got up early this morning for Chucks class. I'm so tired I'm seeing double........you try it with one eye!!

H. diphreutes is The schooling banner and reef safe. The Heniochus acuminatus (Long fin banner) Not Reef safe.

They're easily distinguished by the rear black band. In the H. diphreutus the black-white margin is at the trailing corner of the anal fin. The non-reefsafe lookalike has the black band ending higher on the anal fin, closer to the tail.

Nate

NateHanson said:
They're easily distinguished by the rear black band. In the H. diphreutus the black-white margin is at the trailing corner of the anal fin. The non-reefsafe lookalike has the black band ending higher on the anal fin, closer to the tail.

Nate

Correct, I had one for about two weeks and he suddenly died.Not sure why he has been the only casualty so far with the new tank.He was very active and I plan on getting more, probably 2-3 when I can find some. AA sometimes get some but if you buy make sure you are buying the correct one. Last week I was at Petco in Nashua and they had a tankful of the "bad guys" and I actually stopped a guy from buying 2 for his reef tank.

Very fun fish

PS Nate, the fish swam the entire tank. Missed your earlier question :)

Last edited:
ltelus said:
Those bar gobies were nice,no wonder that guy from Atlantis was keen to get them.I wan't fish that will actively school,not just hang out looking at each other :D

That's what school in Brooklyn was like... why not let the fish be ? :)

I just picked up a chalk bass and it is a VERY cool fish but I am not sure if they school

Ray said:
I just picked up a chalk bass and it is a VERY cool fish but I am not sure if they school

Scott michaels says they should if introduced at the same time.Where did you get it Ray,Sea Creatures?

Back