This Means War!!!!!!!

Hey Lenny, could you chime in and let me know how you made out with your urchin eating this stuff.....

For the rest of you, before I got rid of all of it, Lenny (lactrain) took some on some rock rubble to try to feed to his long spined sea urchin. I have yet to hear the results. I sent him a pm as well.

thanks len

Last edited:
I spoke with Len a couple weeks ago and he laughed as he said that he chickened out on putting it in his tank...... I would have done the same thing... :)

Troubleman said:
Siganus "various" Just kidding. I'm not sure on the exact ID. Probably a color variation of virgatus, but I'm not sure. These fish do change their diet as they grow, but an adult rabbit would be the most likely fish I would bet on to eat the stuff and keep it so trimmed that it is never an issue. I have been looking for a pic of the algae I had and can't seem to find one. I am almost certain it is the same thing pictured here. It has a slightly iridescent sheen to it in the right light, right?

Here is the corrected rabbitfish article link BTW
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/hcs3/index.php

Leo....I don't blame Len, I didn't even want to give it too him at first, knowing the possible consequences. Cindy, yes it does have a sheen in the right light......Do yo have a better pic of your rabbit fish.....I am looking to add a couple more fish. Possible a rabbitfish and a nice wrasse ( I love the wrasse thread, really making it imposssible to pick one tho.)

I thought Lactrain was a 'girl member'??.......that was an attention grabber......lol

He can still be a girl member if you want to use your imagination...... eeewwww..... I think I just made myself sick.....

You can buy my rabbit if you can catch the darn thing. He is about twice the size of my larger regal so he thinks he is a tough guy, but he gets sliced up frequently.
attachment.php

Last edited:
~Flighty~ said:
Siganus "various" Just kidding. I'm not sure on the exact ID. Probably a color variation of virgatus, but I'm not sure. These fish do change their diet as they grow, but an adult rabbit would be the most likely fish I would bet on to eat the stuff and keep it so trimmed that it is never an issue. I have been looking for a pic of the algae I had and can't seem to find one. I am almost certain it is the same thing pictured here. It has a slightly iridescent sheen to it in the right light, right?

Here is the corrected rabbitfish article link BTW
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/hcs3/index.php

Interesting article on them. My pink skunk clown female has been trying (unsuccessfully) now for almost a year to pair with my foxface lo, LOL. She actually abadoned her paired male for the foxface. Irritates the heck out of the foxface when she tries rubbing against him. It is interesting as they often swim together, especially when the foxface is grazing.

-Mike

Leo is right i chickened out ... I was weary! It was such a small peice and it kept getting kicked over and falling into my rockwork where the urchin was unable to access it....

One other reason was that looking at it under a magnifying glass it appears to have spores ... like troubleman said it blows around and attaches elsewhere though IMO I feel that it is not the leaves that are reattaching it is these tiny like feather duster looking spores that are growing off the leaves.

Based on Julian Sprungs book (I have the same) that quote from Aquadiva is that Diadema Urchins are highly recomended for consuming Algae ... I will loan him out Sandybaydave if your willing to come by and pick him up .... It is a much better set of circumstances to add the urchin to the tank that has already been infested with algae then adding the algae to a 2 year old established tank whos owner is a chicken!

Len

Thank you for the kind offer, but you are 2 hours away from us, we live in Gloucester. I think we might take a ride up to Sea Creatures in Revere tonight, maybe he'll let us try to feed this stuff to a foxface to see if he likes it. If so, then we'll take him home. Maybe they'll also have a Diadema Urchin. We'll try anything! We're desperate people! Did someone also mention a large kind of Tang that might eat it? We have a 240 gallon so we're not worried about the size of the fish. We have a yellow tang and he doesn't touch it.

Thanks guys....and gals,
Gina:) (sandybaygina?):D

One more point Gina ... for what its worthI If you notice the quote from Julian Sprung that aquadiva posted (i refer to this book quite often myself) it states that this type of algae thrives in good water quality ... so it isnt neccesarily anything you doing wrong other then the fact that it was mistakingly introduced to aquarium.

Good Luck!

Dictyota

brown, yellow, green or blue cushions composed of flatted Y shaped branches.

Similar: Dictyopteris, which has a midrib.

Features: Not palatable to most herbivorous fishes. Fast growing. this alga blooms in aquariums under good water quality conditions, and it seems to have a positive effect on water quality, though it may shade or smother corals.

Controls: removal by hand...herbivores

Herbivores: Diadema Urchin, Mithraculus crab.

Back