This Means War!!!!!!!

~Flighty~ said:
Make sure you find out what methods he tried to eradicate it first. I had the same algae and I believe my rabbit fish was the one who eradicated it in my tank. I would be happy to try feeding him some if you can give me a sample.

Thank you Cindy, that is also a kind offer, but we would only be able to come by on the weekend as you are located about an hour away from us, and we want to try something for this problem YESTERDAY, as I'm sure you all can relate to:rolleyes:. Plus, if your foxface did eat it, we would be tearing your tank apart to take it home with us:D!

Please do let us know though, if ever you're fragging anything to sell. We love Aqua Addicts and Aquarium Gallery and you mentioned to us earlier that you're in between! How lucky are you....or should I ask, how broke are you?;)
Gina

lactrain said:
One more point Gina ... for what its worthI If you notice the quote from Julian Sprung that aquadiva posted (i refer to this book quite often myself) it states that this type of algae thrives in good water quality ... so it isnt neccesarily anything you doing wrong other then the fact that it was mistakingly introduced to aquarium.

Good Luck!

Good water quality sucks!!!:mad:
Gina

Send in the troops!

We took a trip to Sea Creatures and picked up a long spine urchin and a Unicorn. They are very helpful there, had no prob with me dropping my algae in their tanks to see if it would be eaten, and spent a considerable amount of time with us testing different fish. I really like that place, they are a good bunch of guys. Anyway, back to the subject, the first fish to display any interest in the aglae was the unicorn, and it went right to it! It eagerly attacked and ate the stuff! There was a Fiji Fox Face in there and he ate a little, but nothing like the unicorn! So I broke out my handy pocket fish guide(which we always carry with us) and looked him up. As near as I can tell, he is "Naso Unicornis" and the book claims he "Feeds mostly on brown macro algae and will eliminate any such plants present in a reef tank"!!! We are trying not to get our hopes up, but "our hopes are up". I will keep you all posted, hopefully this thing gets the job done. We appreciate all of the input and help you guys have given and hope to one day be able to repay you all in kind. -Dave and Gina

Best of luck with the fish... hope it works out. I'm gonna guess there are a lot of folks that will be interested in how this all turns out.

BTW...take a pic of that fish when you get a chance...a google search turned up quite an array of different looking fish.

sandybaydave said:
Thank you Cindy, that is also a kind offer, but we would only be able to come by on the weekend as you are located about an hour away from us, and we want to try something for this problem YESTERDAY, as I'm sure you all can relate to:rolleyes:. Plus, if your foxface did eat it, we would be tearing your tank apart to take it home with us:D!

Please do let us know though, if ever you're fragging anything to sell. We love Aqua Addicts and Aquarium Gallery and you mentioned to us earlier that you're in between! How lucky are you....or should I ask, how broke are you?;)
Gina
Glad to hear you got a fish. I hope he works out. Stop by for a visit any time. There are always frags to be frogen.

just my 2 cents worth on this stuff and something alittle similar........... if youve ever seen the blue algea .. looks just like this and has a sheen as well..... i used to add alot of iodine to make this stuff grow alot faster and quicker (yrs ago) and really noticed a difference in the growth when i didnt use it for 2 weeks or more.... like i said just my 2 cents worth...

I actually boiled some of my rock to get rid of GSP

And other rock I bleached to get rid of macro algae

I get hair aglae every now & then..until I cut back on feeding & the Tangs decide it may just be edible

stevenp said:

Yes, only he's not as cute.:( To be honest, we're not in love with him, he's not on "the list" of fish, you can only have so many with a reef tank, we just hope he'll help. It's hard to say as he seems to be between the rocks a lot. He ate it at the store! We also got an urchin. He's awesome but we have yet to see him eat it either. Who knows, maybe they secretly eat it when we're at work!:rolleyes: We got both last night so, too soon to tell, really.
Thanks peoples!
Gina:)

Report from the front....

The unicorn seems to be expressing an interest, but it is too soon to see if he is going to be the answer. The urchin looks cool but seems to be doing nothing, also to soon to tell with him though....

We will keep you all posted,
-Dave

Pulling out the big guns!

Naso Tang. He is still a juvi but seems interested in the stuff. I think he has already eaten more in the first hour he's been in there than the unicorn has eaten all week. The yellow tang keeps interupting him trying to see what he's eating, but thats not a big issue I don't think, the big problem is now I think I need to get the unicorn back out. I was reading that there is a club fish trap out there, anyone know who to PM on that? I will continue to keep you posted with news from the front.

To be continued....

I think that one of the "Useful Threads" keeps track of where the fish trap (and the mantis trap) is.

Fish Trap, PLEASE!!

Ok guys, apparently the loaner fish traps are missing!! Does anyone out there have a fish trap that we could borrow? Please, please, please don't make my Dave have to build yet one more thing in our apartment:eek:, I don't know that I can take it! Getting a fish or two out may be a key element in our war against the dictyota algae. We have a Naso Tang are are getting a Rabbit today to destroy the algae so we need a trap to get the Unicorn out and possibly the Yellow Tang as he might be a big distraction for the Naso and the Rabbit, he is a bit territorial and God forbid there are fish in there touching his food(even though he won't touch the dictyota algae!).

So, we're in Gloucester, we could come by soon as we are going to get the Rabbit today. Anyone live within a reasonable distance from us who is willing to help a fellow reefer out?:(

Thanks guys! Gina:D

I don't have a "club trap", but I have a trap I made that your welcome to borrow. (I guess it's beginning to be a back up club trap)

It's oversized so it can handle most tangs, rectangular with the standard fishing line activated trap door. I used it to catch all my fish last yr for an ick treatment, and a couple of other BRS people have used to catch fish sucessfully. You will need a bit of space to use it since the trap is about 9x9x4 and needs an extra 5-7 inches of clearance for the trap door when it's waiting to be sprung. Works best to train the fish to eat it's favorite food out of the trap for a week or so, then pull the line and catch it.

Anyway, if you want to borrow my trap send a PM. I live in sudbury and work in framingham.

jk

Thank you so much JK and Dong for offering to lend us your fish traps! We were actually hoping to find one that day within a reasonable distance from us, as we were on our way to meet up with Ray in Peabody anyway. Sudbury and Concord Ma. were just too far for us, but we really appreciate the offers from both of you. Dave ended up making "a trap" fairly quickly and painlessly and it worked well.:)
Thank you both. The folks on BR are the best!
Gina

Victory on the horizon?

The enemy is in retreat!!! We have declared an official end to major combat operations. Some insurgents ramain at large, but our troops' moral is high and their vigilance is unshakable!

Each passing day reveals less and less algea, the rock of which a picture can be found at the begining of this thread shows almost no traces of the algea that once blanketed it!

More updates will be coming soon!

Back