Unofficial BRS meeting / Labor Day Weekend BRS BBQ/Tank christening

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
So, the sod has taken pretty well on area where the construction at my place was done, and my new tank is no longer melting down Acropora when I move them in. So it's time to have some folks over to have a look and just hang out and BS.

This will be an unofficial BRS meeting...no agenda, no elections, no speaker, no raffle, no real timetable (I know that will drive some of you NUTS!). Frag swap/equipment swap whenever, however you want. I'm opening my lawn and some of my house to whomever wants to come over, cook out, and BS about reef tanks. My 400 gallon tank will be set up and accessible to view, though not fully stocked yet (though with any luck Gustavo's tank raised H. magnifica will be in!!). If things aren't too crazy I'll bring folks in to see my seahorses, and my other tanks (many of which are being consolidated into the 400, so are rather 'striped'.

Date: Sunday Sept 4th. Rain date Monday Sept 5th, Labor Day.
Place: My house in Wakefield, 10 miles north of Boston
Time: 1-5 PM or so.

What to bring, equipment: Your charcoal or favorite type of grill, there will be plenty of space to set up outside. If anyone has a little picnic type tent/fly and it looks like a really sunny day that would be nice to bring too. While the grass is ok to sit on, extra folding chairs would be nice if anyone has some.

What to bring food: Whatever you want to grill or eat cold, or drink (beer/wine, etc. ok). Please plan on sharing some stuff.

What I will provide: Space, paper plates, utensils, cups, ice, Maybe some of my wife's food (no promises), and of course Snoop Doggie Dog for some stupid pet tricks.

No need to RSVP, but you might post below if you plan to come. If nobody shows I'll eat my own hot dogs off my own little micro grill! :D There will be plenty of room for as many people as could show. Parking not a problem.

If anyone needs directions PM or email me with an email address.

So, come and see my way cool garden eels and check out the new tank. Details about the tank construction are on this old thread:

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3249&highlight=digging

If the date is changed due to rain, be sure to check this thread

Sounds great Greg. Can't wait to see the tank. I"m in I could bring some burgers and dogs.

Ooooo I am very excited to see the magnifica (big surprise) can watch you feed it? Can I touch it and see if it stings me like mine does :p ?

By the way, chromis and magnificas seem to not do well together (at least not in my tank) Well, I'll rephrase that, the chromis don't do well, the magnifica is getting fat. 5 down 2 to go. A wiggly fish sure gets a better feeding response than a half frozen chunk of shrimp. At least they weren't expensive fish :rolleyes: None of the others have been dumb enough to wander into it.

I'd really like to see the new tank. But I'll have to check with the "boss". Sometimes she's got plans I don't know about.

>By the way, chromis and magnificas seem to not do well together <

I don't plan on any Chromis, my wife hates them....to 'wiggy'. I have some damsels that are Chromis look alikes. I also have a lot of Anthias, I hope they are not stupid enough to blunder into the anemone.

One Eye said:
Kevin, no dancing!.....please.

biggrin.gif
that depends

Moe_K said:
If Kevin dances I shall capture the moment on video.

I can't imagine what you guys witnessed :eek:
If we come, I will assure you that he won't be shakin his booty this time :p

Yum yum Chromis Fish

Very interesting.....Maybe that is why I lost all of my chromis way back when.
Have you seen the Heteractis actually catching a chromis? When I first started the tank (5 years ago) I bought a half dozen chromis that all dissapeared over ashort period of time....very interesting indeed ! :rolleyes:

~Flighty~ said:
By the way, chromis and magnificas seem to not do well together (at least not in my tank) Well, I'll rephrase that, the chromis don't do well, the magnifica is getting fat. 5 down 2 to go. A wiggly fish sure gets a better feeding response than a half frozen chunk of shrimp. At least they weren't expensive fish :rolleyes: None of the others have been dumb enough to wander into it.

Back