AEFW infestation

this pix looks clear

I just wnt to point out that those are not acro eating flat worms and just normal acoel flatworm that are basically harmless unless the populations get out of control.

Just want to clarify as this is an AEFW thread and someone might just see a picture and think that is what they look like.

I just wnt to point out that those are not acro eating flat worms and just normal acoel flatworm that are basically harmless unless the populations get out of control.

Just want to clarify as this is an AEFW thread and someone might just see a picture and think that is what they look like.

Correct, Acro Flatworms are pretty much a perfect oval, with no type of fork at the tail, I'm pretty sure you can tell the difference in the pics I posted in the beginning.

Update

So my DT system has run acro-free for almost 2 months. I put a couple NEW ORA frags in as "bait", and after a week in there, they dipped clean:D
Now down to the QT. My last set of betadine dips was well over a month ago and color has started to come back in some pieces. I am using CoralRx this time, and let me tell you, that stuff is LEGIT! Within my first few pieces.......OH NOooo, they're back, with eggs!:mad: I should have just tossed the blue mille in the first place(that's where most of them were again)
So now I tossed even more corals, and these acros have become more of an experimental thing, as I only plan on restocking my DT with new ones.
I am planning to do my dips over the next 3 weeks, and at the last dip I'll move all of them into a different QT, which will have been running acro free for a month, to ensure that no worms are in there traveling between corals on the eggcrate when I did the dips, like Don(Reefermedic) mentioned previously. I will the check them monthly with dips.
The good news is, as I said, CoralRx is the real deal! I wish I had this stuff in the beginning. I used the Pro concentrate with the dropper, according to the directions, and within a minute in the bucket, with no flow, some worms already fell off. After a few minutes, the turkey baster blew the rest right off. The best part is that the water remains clear, so you can really see everything that is coming off. After my dips, I swear my corals actually had BETTER color than before, and the polyps were out and happy in 5-15 min!

Still figuring out this borrowed computer, but these were taken last weekend. Eggs were in the frag tank(empty now), and the frag was alive but receded a bit, it sat in cold treated water overnight and completely died.

Those are nasty.

For the newer members, this thread is 2 mos old. I got a PM about a free frag I gave away, you have nothing to worry about. I haven't sold/trade any acros since before April, and that's the only species these would be on. All my acros are in an ISOLATED system from the rest of my corals. I am 100% confident that all my other tanks are clean.

Just another update. I have repeatedly dipped acros at random from my DT system and all come up clean. I also went through another set of cycles of dips in the QT again, and all is still well. I threw out the pieces I had any concern about, and cut off anything that was not living tissue, and after the third dip I actually transferred everything over to ANOTHER QT tank that had run fallow for a month, just in case there were eggs laid on eggcrate/substrate etc, then ran that tank acro free. I also cut some pieces and dipped them 2 weeks apart seperate from everything else, and they went back in the DT as mini colonies or frags. I am so glad to have acros back!

awesome kevin, glad to hear that you are making great progress! Keep it up!

I'm still clean as a whistle:)
But watch out and ask questions, I KNOW they're out there, and not everybody is as honest as myself.....................................................................

Glad things are working out for you Kevin. I don't think some people have the diligence or patience to treat incoming corals and to quarantine them nowadays.

Hopefully others will learn from your hard work.

Back