I'm an AEFW Suvivor!!

this is me

I like turtles
BRS Member
It's been a rough six months. I found AEFW while basting some sand off my acros. I was in self denial and let the tank go. Not until I slowly lost my colonies that I decided to do something about it. I lost the big staghorn, yellow tort, and some other colonies. After doing a lot of reading, I decided to give Bayer a try. It's either I do something or all my acros will slowly get eating. When I went back to look at some of the macro shots, I can actually see the bite marks from the AEFW.

I had to pull all the colonies encrusted on the rock and removed it from the rock. The acro went in the Bayer solution with 1gallon of tank water and 1 cup of Bayer for 30-45minutes. I scraped and chiseled out the remaining encrusting on the rock and rinse out the rock with RODI and put it back into the tank. The colonies that were greatly affected by AEFW and had egg on it, I threw out. It wasn't as hard of a process as I thought and I should've done it the moment I found AEFW. I would've saved a lot of my acros. But lesson learned. I now dipped everything with Bayer before entering the tank. Quarantine is not an option as I don't have any room for the set up. I find Bayer works really well and I've yet to lose any sps with this dip. After 3 week of the initial Bayer dip, I took everything out and dip again. I now can see the acros are taking off and color up again. It's now roughly 2 weeks after the last dip and I don't see any bite marks or FW flying off when I bast the colonies.

How the tank looks now. The clams has been moved to the middle of the tank under the MH allowing the acanthrophyllia more room.
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

I was so hard broken to lose my tort that I had to drive 1.5hrs to the lfs that has a frag of tort.

original.jpg

original.jpg

ORA Cali Tort
original.jpg

Echinata
original.jpg

original.jpg

Tricolor
original.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake but I'm not sure anymore
original.jpg

Granulosa lost a lot of color during the dip.
original.jpg

Joe the coral
original.jpg

Wow nick, wouldn't even know all that we goin on. Tank and corals still look great in my book! Glad you won the battle, makes me think I should dip Bayer for new arrivals as well. I don't have a quarantine either

Oh man, I never doubted ur photographic skills... but ur tank, is just awesome! That's really nice to see a long time reefer's work in progress...

Higor

A success story that should be turned into a sticky and documented for future reefers.

I can certainly post the procedure and solution I used for the treatment. I did take some shots of the process but I have to look for the pictures on my phone. It was quite hectic between keeping the acros dipped in the solution, cleaning and inspecting the acros, and protect myself from exposing to the Bayer itself.

My advice is, if you think your acros are not doing as well as you want and you've done everything right, take one acro out and try the dip. I did this to a small colony and saw a huge different the day after the dip so I decided to put in the effort and remove all acros for treatment.

Last edited:
Back