Algae Bloom

pesto

Keeping it Simple!
Can anyone tell me what I have going on here with this algae bloom? It is brown and covered in bubbles. It is spreading so, any help identifying it and telling me how to get rid of it will be appreciated. Thanks!

Algae Bloom - 003.jpg Algae Bloom - 002.jpg

Attachments

• Algae Bloom - 001.jpg
    Algae Bloom - 001.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 231
I feed once per day, dry w/frozen. Food is consumed quickly. I have two (2) Maxijet 1200's and one (1) Maxijet 900 all with Hydor FLO Rotating Water Deflectors.

Is this a slower of flow area? I read and why mnavick asked about flow that its helped by moving organic matter so it is not stagnant on a rock. I tried the slime remover, I dosed 3 times and longer then 48 hours in between. (I did not want to add that stuff so I didn't follow the direction) combined with brushing it off and siphoning it, it went away!!

Good luck

Do you think the Hydor FLO Rotating Water Deflectors can be contributing by reducing the flow rate?

Also,check your skimmer for efficiency,if you have one.
Water changes if the ro/di is 0 tds and less feedings.

Skimmer seems to be operating correctly. I have removed the Hydor FLO Rotating Water Deflectors from my Maxijets. Will reduce feedings to only frozen every other day. My TDS is reading 0 and will do a 25% water change tomorrow. Heard that turning the lights off for three days will also help. My bulbs are 14 months old so, should change those soon.

Any other recommendations?

yeh old bulbs will do it. the bulb spectrum will change and promote growth. Try sucking or blowing it off and doing a water change.Also, might want to add another pump to get the water mvement up. Usually its a combo of things...old bulbs + low flow could do it.

if all else fails use red slime remover. works great and ive never had a problems at all using it. Just follow directions and use an airstone to help keep the water airated. I have some red slime remover you could use if you like.

-siphon the cyano, and be very diligent until it starts to get under control
-check rodi tds level
-check skimming efficiency
-check feedings
-water change frequency/volume
-flow flow flow (dead spots spawn cyano)
-test for phosphates, nitrates
-Chaeto in sump.
-a carbon/gfo reactor can also help. For my 29gal, I use a TLF reactor. I fill it maybe 60%. Mix of 80% carbon, 20% GFO. I change it as needed based on levels, or every 4 weeks. Whichever comes first. Tip: Mix the GFO and Carbon. Don't layer it! This helps prevent the GFO from clumping and clogging the reactor. If you use two reactors, then you can more easily control GFO 'tumbing' and reduce the risk of clumping. Harder to do with multiple media in a single reactor. If no reactor, a filter sock can help, but it doesn't work as efficiently as a reactor. Honestly, I didn't find carbon and gfo in a sock very effective. The reactor, yes.

3 days of lights off will help, you would want to cover the tank so that it gets no indirect lighting
thanks Frank

I've been battling dinos for six months-- did everything, lights out, high PH..everything. I'm on Day 4 of Hydrogen Peroxide-- it's almost all gone, and what's left is showing signs of giving up too.

I agree with moreflow. I feed my tank 2-3x daily and I have never had a problem with any kind of algae. Check your bulbs and make sure your skimmer is working effectively.

Back