Algae bloom??

thebigfluff

Non-member
So my tank has great levels, everything looks good that way. Happy anemones, happy fish. All of a sudden I'm noticing green hair algae and other brownish algae taking over my coral. Entire tank has that brown Yellow kind of look. I know this also signals a tank maturity phase, but should I be worried? I am just confused because the anemones and fish are so happy but the coral seem like they are not.

Anything I should test for? Should I be manually removing the stuff?

Maybe more cleanup crew?

Post some actual numbers and what test kit you're using - "great levels" means something different to everyone. When you started up the tank did you use all dry sand/rock? Starting with dry usually results in a much longer ugly stage, might be helpful to add some beneficial bacteria. Personally, I would try to do some manual removal once a week during a water change and siphon out all the nasties - if you keep your levels in check, it should slowly go away on its on. Be careful of just throwing a ton of snails and crabs in there, because if they eat all the algae and starve you'll just get a nutrient spike and be back to square one.

Post some actual numbers and what test kit you're using - "great levels" means something different to everyone. When you started up the tank did you use all dry sand/rock? Starting with dry usually results in a much longer ugly stage, might be helpful to add some beneficial bacteria. Personally, I would try to do some manual removal once a week during a water change and siphon out all the nasties - if you keep your levels in check, it should slowly go away on its on. Be careful of just throwing a ton of snails and crabs in there, because if they eat all the algae and starve you'll just get a nutrient spike and be back to square one.
I'll do a test when I get home, using api master reef and master saltwater kits

I'll do a test when I get home, using api master reef and master saltwater kits
Good to know, those tests kits are ok at giving you a ballpark range, but they're not the most accurate and each person reads the color a bit differently. Everyone has a different preference for test kits, I personally use Hanna for phosphate and nitrate because I hate the uncertainty of the color charts. Salifert and red sea both make really accurate tests for KH/Ca/Mg. Honestly, it's probably worth it to bring a water sample to a LFS near you - I know Love The Reef in Wilmington has an aquaspin that will give you all the numbers you care about, and they'll help you out and give great advice

Good to know, those tests kits are ok at giving you a ballpark range, but they're not the most accurate and each person reads the color a bit differently. Everyone has a different preference for test kits, I personally use Hanna for phosphate and nitrate because I hate the uncertainty of the color charts. Salifert and red sea both make really accurate tests for KH/Ca/Mg. Honestly, it's probably worth it to bring a water sample to a LFS near you - I know Love The Reef in Wilmington has an aquaspin that will give you all the numbers you care about, and they'll help you out and give great advice
I'll be at fragsgiving if anyone has a water tester with them :p

I used all hanna checkers for my 200g. But with my new 20g have been using api

I'm thinking my lights are on too long. I put them on sunrise/sunset at 6-7am then my wife puts them on full when she gets up then I go to moonlight after work 5-6pm then off at 8-10.

Some of the pics

Attachments

• 20221111_140334.jpg
    20221111_140334.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 20221111_140351.jpg
    20221111_140351.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 20221111_140357.jpg
    20221111_140357.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 20221111_140403.jpg
    20221111_140403.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 20221111_140407.jpg
    20221111_140407.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 79
Probably a combination of new tank syndrome, wonky levels, and overlighting. Give it some time, grab some new test kits, and try a shorter lighting schedule (12 hours max, including sunrise/sunset IMO). I’m unfamiliar with the light you have, is there any way to put it on a timer? If there’s one thing corals love, it’s consistency.

So seeing some improvement after cutting lights down, still lost a bunch of coral. But here are my current levels

Ph- 8-8.1 or 8.2
Kh- 10
Calcium- 500 or. More
Phosphate- .25 or less
Nitrate- ~0
Nitrite- ~0
Ammonia- 0-.2 maybe

Back