Flying with Fish/Inverts?

wpeterson

BRS Member
Have any of you guys had experience flying with fish or inverts?

We'll be moving to California in the next month or so and I was curious if there was any airlines that allow you to take a cooler with fish/inverts in on the plane or check the bag. I worry a lot about the temperature being too cold if they were checked. Most airlines rules say you can not bring fish and I have no idea how you'd get anything through the TSA checkpoint.

Any experience or advice appreciated.

well I'm pretty sure tsa wont allow you to carry on...maybe you can check them....remember that's how these fish got to the fish store in the 1st place

go to your LFS and ask for a shipping box(s) and heat pack. You will need to have them ready the day you leave and something when you arrive at your destination. You wont want to leave them in the bag for no more than 24 hours so basically you would want to pull them the day your flight is to leave and have something set up when you get there. I did this when I came home from Buffalo a few years back. I had to check in my fish cause I couldn't carry them on.

Would it be easier to Overnight them via UPS or FedEx to have them there by the time you arrive the next day? In terms of timing they might be in the bags a little longer, but at least then you don't have to worry about the logistics of getting them packed AND getting yourself to the airport on time in the same day. Not to mention the hassle it might be trying to explain to the airline what your checking in your luggage. The one concern would be a delayed flight and having your shipped livestock cooking outside your new place before you get there. Just a thought.

Man a move to the west coast. I'd probably start new. Keep the expensive equipment have it shipped with your furniture. Sell the livestock and use he cash to get new stuff at your leisure

coral and fish are better in California, IMO just not worth the headache to move them.

LAX is THE port for coral importation. Vendors there snap up all the top goodies.

Sucks to see you guys go Winfield. On to bigger and better things I hope.

I've never traveled with fish or inverts so I can't give any advice but feel free to get in touch if you need a hand with anything.

Back