Hair Algae Question

Ba19Ma88

Non-member
I currently have the following:
46 gallon 2+ year old system doing fine.
30 Gallon that has been cycling for about 2 months with a MAJOR hair algae problem.
75 Gallon (dry) it is just now getting set up.

Once all is said I will have only 1 tank the 75 gallon, but will keep the 46 up and running and will transfer the existing livestock & live rock to the 75 once it has cycled.

Now the 30 gallon has a MAJOR hair algae problem going on no livestock except a clean up crew (not keeping up) and a domino damsel.

For the 75 I have ordered another 30 lbs of live rock that will need to be cured. I am thinking that if I just "re-cure" the problem rock out of the 30 gallon along with the newly ordered rock would that kill off the hair algae?

Also forgot to mention when I cure my rock it is done with no light plenty of water movement and skimming.

That should do it. Be sure to do water changes on curing tub also. And if you can, don't put all the rock in at once. Add a few pieces a week to the main tank. This way you won't overload the system.

I had the same problem when I cured my rock. I purchased a sailfin tang and also have a sea urchin. They ate EVERYTHING in two days - I have a 125 gallon tank. I haven't had a problem since.

Get one of the behemoth sea hares from Skiptons. They took no time to clean out their personal store systems. They are fat, happy, and ready for a new crop o' roughage!!

Yup I added one of those also, it will die after the algea is gone though but it did a great job with my bryopsis

If I raise the alk with it do any harm to the sea hare? Also do any of the other LFS's carry them nothing agains skiptons...love the store its just a hike?

Pass the sea hair along after he cleans out the tank. We cycle ours throught the four tanks and keep him happy. I thought that we would be able to load him out, but it is not going to work. Skipton's is one place that I know you can usually get one.

Back