Leaky tank repair

Joe Rice

Staff member
BRS Member
Has anyone ever managed to fix a leaky tank without stripping off all the silicone and rebuilding it? The tank has a very slow leak and I think I can see where the bottom seal is damaged.

I'm pretty sure you can't get a reliable seal of silicone on cured silicone. Check out some videos on resealing the tank you're not pulling the whole thing apart you're leaving the silicone between the glass you just redoing the seams. Good luck

Believe it or not when I was out of town my wife fixed a small leak in a small tank with Flexseal! Not saying it is 100% reef safe, but nothing seemed to mind a small amount of it in the tank.

Believe it or not when I was out of town my wife fixed a small leak in a small tank with Flexseal! Not saying it is 100% reef safe, but nothing seemed to mind a small amount of it in the tank.

The Flexseal that comes in a spray can or the kind you apply with a brush? Did she seal a tank with water in it? I noticed they also make a squeeze tube version they call Flexglue.

They also make sheet roll that has release paper on the adhesive side so it's "Peel and stick"' I've had a piece of it blocking a couple weirs on an overflow that's a bit on the large side. I used the "Flextape to throttle the overflow basically. The tape has never moved or lost its bond and Coraline algae grows on it. Been up and running for 2 years and of the opinion its absolutely safe to use in your tank.

1665442530646.png

Back